Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

audi: I have a 1997 audi a-8, it stalled on me and shut off

Customer Question

I have a 1997 audi a-8, it stalled on me and shut off will turn over but will not attempt to start got fuel, spark, scanned and got a camshaft position sensor fault, replaced but still no resolve ,I failed to mention that a po322 code did appear also

Category: Audi
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Are you ready to work on your vehicle’s issue now (may need scanner, voltmeter and other tools), or just seeking information at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have meter and tools and scanner what other info do you need, as I stated in the question the code that was given was for the cam position sensor which was replaced, the other code was for the engine speed sensor Po0322 which i didnt think would stop the engine from cranking but affect the speedometer fuction as stated the car was running fine, started to sputter an shut off ,recranked then shut off again.(note, when it turns over it does at a faster speed than normal

Thank you. All the symptoms you describe, plus this new information you provide regarding cranking speed point to a valve timing issue. You could confirm this by doing a compression test, but to prevent further engine damage I recommend going straight to the timing belt and checking its condition.

I'm sorry you feel I have not provided the kind of service you were expecting. It is my job as a professional to apply my technical knowledge and experience with these vehicles for your benefit. I assure you my answer was meant to save you time and effort that you could otherwise have wasted chasing the cause for the misleading generic codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you ask for a rating of the answer I recieved, and it was not of any assistance in solving the issue i was having with my car. after further investagation into the problem, It was found to be my crankshaft sensor, went online to an audi forum and seen the same symtoms from another post , an indepth response was given from a audi tech who manages the site was the best info recieved,exact same systoms were described as far as engine speed change when cranking I thing this should have been key since most of my experince with an engine having timing issues this has never occured. I glad I checked for other opinions because removing the front -end and chking the timing belt would have been both time consuming an costly and still would not have sove the issue

I'm glad your issue has been solved. Please consider the fact that the accuracy of my answers depends solely on information I receive from you, the customer. You stated the engine was turning over faster than normal, which can only happen if there is lower compression than normal. Since you did not mention any blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe, I dismissed broken rings as being the cause. That leaves valve timing off as the only other mechanical cause. I'm sure the tech who manages the site you mention would agree on the cause of the increased cranking speed. Regardless, I wish you the best and hope you would come and visit us again in the future. Stay cool! Cool