Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
35071616

Audi A8 Quattro L: 2004 Audi A8L 4.2 , put key in ignition,

Customer Question

2004 Audi A8L 4.2 , put key in ignition, no dash lights, not cranking, battery is good, all fuses are good, when I turn key it will get stuck in ignition, radio works, seats work,power locks work(only with door button not remote)
Category: Audi
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.

Roman :

Hello , Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product. There is a problem in the ignition system and faults will be logged pointing to the diagnosis steps that need to be taken. I can give you a guess of hat might be causing it however there is a good chance that it can be some other problem. Can you scan the fault codes and upload them here for further evaluation?

Roman :

The battery might be low on charge. This could be the entire problem. First test the battery as it is the heart of the complicated electrical system in the A8

Customer :

I have scan tool but when I turn key to position 1 I get nothing so im not getting power to the computer

Roman :

Do you mean that there is not enough voltage to power up in accessory mode? Do any of the lights turn on the instrument cluster when you turn on the key to accessory?

Customer :

no dash lights only when I open the door I can see the time and milage

Customer :

turning key does nothing and key gets stuck but I have a new battery in

Roman :

Ok so you will need to check and test the battery. Maybe the connections to the battery are loose. Was the battery the latest work done? Recheck the connections at the battery.

Customer :

I have full power, I can move seats, play radio just can do anything as you could when you turn key to accessories mode

Roman :

there must be a blown fuse. did you check ALL of the fuses in ALL locations, near the battery and on the side of the dash panel?

Customer :

I put a test light the plug behind ignition switch and there is no power, I don't know if there should be power to the wires

Customer :

all the fuses are good pulled them out 1 by 1

Roman :

There is not full power as the ignition system and the dash panel is not receiving power. There is always power to the ign. switch the switch just re routs the power when turned. do you have a wire diagram?

Customer :

I have an alldata account

Customer :

im sure there is a diagram

Customer :

its like the key is dead

Customer :

I have 2 keys neither one works, remote will not open door

Roman :

What was the condition of the vehicle before the battery was replaced/ And what was the last repair? You will need to look at the wire diagram to see where power comes from to power up the ignition switch, follow the wires and check all of the fuses on the diagram and connections. If it were a key problem the cluster would still power up but the car will not start so I doubt its the key

Customer :

I replaced the battery because I thought that was the problem

Roman :

there are hidden fuse locations that the diagram will explain the location that may not be in the usual locations

Customer :

I checked them all

Customer :

took the bottom of the dash off to check hidden fusses

Roman :

ok, we know that there is a new battery, do you have a charger connected to the system while you are working on it? There must be FULL power all the time on this car.

Customer :

I don't think im getting power to the ecu

Roman :

If you have Some power you should still be able to check for codes. What type of scan tool do you use?

Customer :

snap on

Customer :

if the key does not go on before crank it will not power the scan tool

Customer :

it powers up but when it goes to communicate it tells me to turn key on

Customer :

and I get nothing when I turn the key

Roman :

If there is no power to the ecu you can check the wires and back track to the next component and check that one according to the diagram to see if power and ground are there. You must use the wire diagram here.

Customer :

that was my next thing, thought you would be able to give an answer

Roman :

It's not that simple. There is a diagnosis needed I may not be able to answer this on line. I can inform the moderator to refund your deposit if you like

Customer :

yes please refund, thank you for your time.

Roman :

ok I let them know, you should get a response soon.

Customer :

ok, thank you