Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair

Audi Q7 Premium: 2007 Audi Q7 MMI stopped working. Works intermittently

Customer Question

2007 Audi Q7 MMI stopped working. Works intermittently but mainly does not. Start-up Display will power on but then turns off. Checked Fuses, controls, and reset MMI. Nothing seems to resolved the issue.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.

Hello , Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product

Have you had all updates performed in the past?

You can try reset again.

Q7, press SETUP, BIG KNOB and top right soft button together.

If this does not work you will need to check the logged fault codes with an Audi compliant scan tool and list the faults here for evaluation.

Let me know when you have them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you think it needs an update? I am not sure what this entails. I have only owned it for 4 months.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i did the reset several times.

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Rebooting of the MMI is caused by the fiber channel loop being open somewhere.
The MOST Bus is a Fiber Optic loop that goes from device to device. I.E. Navigation->Radio->Tel->Sound Amp->Changer->Control Head->Navigation.

When the loop brakes none of the devices are working and the MMI keeps rebooting.
The loop can be broken in 2 ways:

- the FO is actualy broken or disconnected from a device;
- one of the devices in the loop lost power or is not powering-on.(check power supply for each device).

If one of the devices in the loop is not powered the FO connection is not passed forward to the following device so the loop is broken.

In order to see where is the problem, you have to check FO connection at each device. You will need a Fiber Optic Wire Connector
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.

Many times you have a failed amp. but will need to make sure by checking with a diagnostic protocol. That is a best guess from seeing many amps cause this issue.

I do not know if you need an update the only way to know is by checking the software with thee latest update cd. You can call a dealer and ask service if there are any updates lately that affect your model

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,

Roman