Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
35071616

Audi 100 CS: I have a 1994 Audi 100 CS. The digital climate

I have a 1994 Audi 100 CS. The digital climate control does not operate properly. The blower speed can be raised to maximum but cannot be lowered. The temperature can be lowered but not raised. The automatic temperature does not operate properly. The problem is in the control only. ( ie blower, ac compressor, etc. seem to be all operational)
Could you provide an overview of how the system operates and an electrical schematic ?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.

Roman :

Hello , Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product. You just answered the question yourself. The control head is failed and is a common failure on all Audi model years. If you replace the A/C control head and have the new one coded to the vehicle everything will be working according to manufacturer design.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Roman,

Thanks for your quick reply. I need more direction to make the repair. Where is the AC control head located ? What does it look like? How do I purchase a new control head that is coded for my vehicle? Any suggestions on where to purchase ?

Thanks again,

Stan

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
The a/c control head is the unit with the temp display and the adjustment buttons on it. You will want a new one and will have to be coded by a technician with an audi compliant scan tool.

If you get a junked one you are taking a chance with it not working properly.

You may be able to find one like that on ebay but will not know if it is coded to your particular vehicle. There is no way of knowing until it is checked with a scantool.

The best bet but most expensive is from a dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Roman,

I contacted the local Audi dealer. Good news, bad news. Audi still makes the part available, but the cost is almost $1500. Are you aware of anyone who sells re-conditioned units? If I purchase a used control head, what questions should I ask of the seller? Finally, how do I remove the control head? Does it come out from the front or do I have to dig into the back of the console?

Thanks so much for you help!

Stan

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
I don't know anyone who sells used except for ebay. They have regulations and you can converse with the seller to get as much info as you can before purchasing.

It come out really easily from the front. Just gently remove the trim cover and you will remove the hardware.you may need to remove the radio and the ashtray. All remove with a little bit of looking closely. The radio needs a set of tools you cam get from any parts store for pretty cheap. Make sure you have the radio code to re enter after re assembly.
Roman, Technician
Experience: over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair