Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair

Audi A4 Quattro: 99 Audi Quattro 2.8 w/tiptronic. 247K miles.

Customer Question

'99 Audi Quattro 2.8 w/tiptronic. 247K miles. Intermittent limp mode. Changed trans oil and filter. Will run/shift fine for half an hour, then goes into limp mode. MAF sensor? TCU under passenger seat is dry, harness connections under car at trans are clean/corrosion free. MFS?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product.

Can you list the faults that are logged in ECM memory?
You can go to autozone or pepboys if you need low cost or free scanning.

Let us know when you have them so that a more thorough diagnosis can begin without guessing and wasting time and money
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will see about having the codes read early in the week. I do have a check engine light on.

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
let me know when you are ready
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do, Roman.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Two more pieces of info:

When it's in "limp mode" shifting from Park to reverse or drive and back again is accompanied by a noticeable "clunk" that you can both hear and feel, and secondly, in tip-tronic mode there is no response in any selected gear. Transmission gear Indicator lights on the dash are all screwed up as well when in 'limp' mode but return to normal when not in 'limp" mode.

Odd thing is that when the car decides not to be in 'limp" mode, the transmission shifts smoothly and drives normally.

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
I will need the faults. The entire problem may be related to the stored fault code in which there is probably a failing part. Which one needs to be determined as of now there are too many variables to start guessing, I do not want to waste your time with an educated guess, because it might be incorrect. Lets see the fault codes first
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'l get the fault codes to you ASAP

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
let me know when you are ready
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Had the codes read:

P 0304 ... Misfire #4 ... but I don't notice anything. Runs great.

P 1519 ... N205 (?)

P 0102 ... MAF

I removed and cleaned the MAF sensor. It was spotless when I removed it but I cleaned it anyway. Didn't make a difference. The "limp" mode problem is intermittent. Sometimes when I start the car everything is normal, then on restart it reverts to "limp" mode, and

sometimes vice/versa.

How about the MFS (multi function switch) on the side of the transmission? I checked the connection plugs there and all looked clean and tight. ??

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
17927/P1519/005401 - Camshaft Adjustment Bank 1: Malfunction

Camshaft Adjustment Valve Bank 1 (N205) faulty bank one is the side with cylinders 1-3

Check for sludge in the valve cover and a work timing chain guides Make sure the timing marks are aligned.

Check Fuse(s)
Check/Replace Camshaft Adjustment Valve Bank 1 (N205)
Perform Output Test/Basic Setting
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Camshaft Adjustment Valve Bank 1 (N205)

16486/P0102/000258 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70): Signal too Low

Possible Causes
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty
Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty

Cleaning it usually does not do much if anything at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can a faulty MFS cause this intermittent "limp mode" situation?

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a fault for multifunction switch?

I would check the N205 like it says above first thing as this may be the cause of the entire problem and once repaired the other problems may resolve.

let me know what you find?