GermanDreams
GermanDreams, SHOP OWNER
Experience:  German Auto shop owner mechanic and enthusiast.

Audi A4 Quattro: will a 97 2.8 v6 engine fit a 99 audi a4

will a 97 2.8 v6 engine fit a 99 audi a4
Category: Audi
Expert:  GermanDreams replied 1 year ago.

GermanDreams :

there not going to properly exchange as the 96 was a single overhead cam motor and the 99 was a dual overhead cam motor. You are going to have electrical connections that will not work

GermanDreams :

Engine Codes are different also

GermanDreams :

96 AFC

GermanDreams :

99 AHA

Customer:

the replacement engine is a 97 not a 96.. please be more specific on what will no work.... cam sensor, crank sensor etc

GermanDreams :

Sorry Same engine code i misred

GermanDreams :

misread

GermanDreams :

would you like me to opt out and let someone else in or try and look up the differences

Customer:

yes

GermanDreams :

yes to which

GermanDreams :

Camshaft sensors not the same

GermanDreams :

mass air flow sensors not thesame

GermanDreams :

injectors not the same

GermanDreams :

ecu not the same

GermanDreams :

crank sensors not the same

GermanDreams :

The money it would cost you to try and re-engineer to make the engine to fit you could buy another used motor.

Customer:

can the sensors be switched from 99 engine to 97 engine... if I was to strip 97 engine down to a long block and switch all sensors injectors etc over will it work?

GermanDreams :

no

GermanDreams :

its not that easy

GermanDreams :

crank sensor may bolt into place

GermanDreams :

but cams no way

GermanDreams :

they dont read the same

GermanDreams :

injectors could be swaped with some mods but the engine isnt designed to run on them so its never going to fuel right

GermanDreams :

would be easier to swap the harness and engine all together into its new home

GermanDreams :

but you would half to build your own adapter harness to get it into the car

GermanDreams :

And hopefully you live in a state with no smog laws

GermanDreams :

cause it would be an instant fail when they opened the hood

GermanDreams :

just curious why not buy the correct motor???? your not doing an upgrade your going backwards

Customer:

you say the 99 is a dual over head cam motor, but there are only 1 cam sprocket per head? I haven't pulled the valve cover off but how is that possible?

GermanDreams :

correct

GermanDreams :

chains connect the two cams inside the head. cam sensor reads off second cam

Customer:

just bought the car, needs engine and it came with a 97 engine

GermanDreams :

belts run exhaust cams chines from them to intake cams.

GermanDreams :

well they gave you a paper wait to be blunt

Customer:

ok thanks for advice

GermanDreams, SHOP OWNER
Experience: German Auto shop owner mechanic and enthusiast.