Bryan, Technician
Experience:  Four years experience diagnosing and repairing Audi vehicles
68592605

Audi A4: I have an 07 Audi A4 with the 2.0 engine. The vehicle

I have an '07 Audi A4 with the 2.0 engine. The vehicle is displaying the following symptoms:

1. PRNDS will sometimes blink (not all the time)
2. Check Engine light is on w/ symptom 1
3. Other times PRNDS goes solid when shifted into D, will return to normal if slide selector into manual, shift up/down before going back to drive. No check engine light.
4. At times the car is unable to start, It will crank over, but not start. The Check Engine light never illuminates in this case. I have to turn key from of to position 1 several times to get the check engine light to do its normal test before vehicle will start.

Codes: P0706, basic test provided by autozone.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello

My name isXXXXX will be glad to assist you today in answering your questions.

You will need to replace the multifunction switch it has failed. on your vehicle it is apart of the entire valve body of the transmission. I am sorry for the bad news but your looking at around $1500 for the repair or more, some of the computers that year change around based on build date. But i know they run around $800-$1200 and $300 for labor.
The price can also differ if you have a quattro or front wheel drive car, the figures i posted are based on a front wheel drive vehicle.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you have a procedure detailing how to remove the switch? I have had several tell me it is the transmission control module. I am capable of doing the work myself and also programing the computer if need be, if I know what I need to do so.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Remove the transmission control module which is inside the back end of the transmission. On the back is a case that has several bolts holding it to the transmission. You remove that pull out the old computer, replace the computer. Its best to pull the correct coding out of the old computer, so when you install the new one you just code it the same way. You will need vag com software, or vas 5051, vas 5054 and a laptop. Once programmed you will need to go through the learning procedure its found on ross-tech.com. Here is a link to the site, just make sure i selected the right transmission computer. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Automatic_Transmission_(01J/Multitronic)#Adaptation
Just copy the entire link into the address bar, both lines will be needed. follow the onscreen adapation process. and that should be it.
There is a rear seal on the transmission you will need along with the tcm.

Make sure you adapt the throttle body on the engine when your done with this job. in vag com basic settings block number 060, and wait till it says adapted. Do this procedure with key on engine off. DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS PEDAL when doing this.

Best regards,

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I based this off you having a CVT transmission. Or front wheel drive audi.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are correct. It is a front wheel drive vehicle with CVT. The electronic shifter is built into the shifter in the center console. I don't have shifter behind the steering wheel.

So the TCM needs replaced. Thanks for the help. It should not be too complicated. Where would I get the replacement part? I know I can't just go to the local Autozone I don't believe.

This link is one I found to another question on here. I wanted to confirm that this is the proper way to take the TCM out. I have no desire to mess up the transmission.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/nabilc/2011-08-17_123221_cas.pdf

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
The link is correct, and the only place you can purchase this part is from a dealership.

Bryan, Technician
Experience: Four years experience diagnosing and repairing Audi vehicles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the help. I hope you enjoy the day.