Bryan, Technician
Experience:  Four years experience diagnosing and repairing Audi vehicles

Audi A4 Quattro: I have an Audi A4 Quattro. I bought with some

I have an Audi A4 Quattro. I bought with some issues. the first thing i noticed was that the timing belt does not roll true through pulleys. it wants to slip off ive replaced all components including the intermediate shaft.

My name isXXXXX will be glad to assist you today in answering your questions.

Has the engine ever been over heated for any period of time, if so the cam gears can warp, and wobble causing the belt to want to slide off. These belts tend to want to ride to the outside of the cam gear to start with, so if the gear is warped in any way it will just push the belt right off.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alright. I bought this car in this condition. it does run fine. but i know this is not correct i am a mechanic myself. do not have alot of experience with audis. as far as it ever over heating im not hasnt since ive had it. when you say gears you mean the pulleys or the cam or crank? need more.

the camshaft gear itself can warp if the engine is over heated, I have seen then actually warp so bad they twist when on the camshaft and allow the timing belt to jump a few teeth, but I also have seen them warp and just run the belt right off the engine.
if its not the cam gear, then the tensioner pulley would be the next issue, they can and do some time cock a bit side ways and that allow the belt to slide to the outside of the gears and pulleys and run the belt off
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

everything is new except for gears. tension, bolts are torqued and set by book specs. so... if i replaced all gears. this would without a doubt do it?

It should I have seen it before, drove me nuts new belt new tensioner new dampener and belt wanted to ride off, the crank should be fine, but the camshaft gear I would remove from the motor and lay it on a flat surface see if its warped. it should be clearly evident if you lay it on a flat surface if the cam gear is your issue.