Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

Audi A4: I have a 1998 audi a4. 2nd and 3rd gear slips pretty

Customer Question

I have a 1998 audi a4. 2nd and 3rd gear slips pretty bad. If I use tiptronic shifting, it works fine...so long as I wait for the revs to go down before I step on the gas. In other words, in tiptronic, I shift then I wait for the revs to go down and then press on the gas. If I do not do this, I get a jolt as my reminder that I did not wait for the revs to go down. In automatic mode, I have to go very slow. When I do this, I have a 50% chance that I will get the jolt. I want to know if this is a silenoid problem or a MAFS or something else.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

These symptoms would be consistent with an internal failure of the transmission. I
suggest you take the vehicle to a repair shop and have them First interrogate the fault memory of the on board diagnostics with an Audi capable scanner to see if there are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored associated with this condition. Further testing, diagnosis, and repairs would be based on any DTCs retrieved.

If there are no DTCs stored I would recommend checking of the transmission fluid level.

This vehicle is fitted with the later style transmission that must be checked from underneath the vehicle. You must first start the vehicle cold (< 30c), idling in park, you remove the level plug. Fluid should start to dribble out of the port between 35-45c. If not, you must pump the special synthetic fluid up into the fill port. This is likely best done in a shop.

If the cause is still not determined, I suggest they remove the pan for an internal inspection and possibly service the transmission. These are the only repairs that can be made short of removal and replacement or rebuilding of the transmission. A service of the transmission entails removal of the sump pan and inlet filter replacement, as well as replacement of a portion of the fluid. If the friction material of the clutch packs has deteriorated, the debris would collect in the sump and possibly plug the inlet filter. Replacement of the filter and fluid as well as cleaning of the sump, may restore performance if it has not gone too far. An assessment of the transmissions condition could be made after said procedures were performed.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. Please rate my answer as OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT. With a lower rating I will not be compensated. Please contact me with your concerns if you cannot rate my answer OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT.

Thank You!
Jake “The Audi Doctor”