Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair

Audi A6 Quattro: I am trying to replace the shifter in

I am trying to replace the shifter in a 98 Audi A6 . I am having major problems gaining access to the 2 rear nuts that hold the shifter in . Center console has been removed ,but I am having problems removing plastic to allow me access to the 2 nutted studs so I can drop the shifter . I don't want to destroy the plastic stuff any ideas on how to get that stuff out of the way so i can drop the shifter ?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass.

I am not going to lie, this concern is not my strongest point, but I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I mainly work in the last half of the day 2pm-midnight cst. , so that is when I do all of my responding.

Once you get an answer, you will be prompted to rate me. You are rating my help, not the website, or answer. If you feel the need to rate negative, please save the rating so I can try again or find someone whom may be able to help better.

Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

X Do you still need help?

X Is there any more information you can add?

X At minimum what do you need to know if I can not address all of your concern?

Chris

>

>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris, I need to remove the shifter.. I have already opened up the bottom of the car ... Exhaust system has been removed , drive shaft dropped and cable has been disconnected . The problem with the shifter is it is broken out where the cable attaches to the shifter . I have a replacement shifter. The shifter is held in by 4 studs that are nutted from the top . to gain access to these nuts , the center console has to be removed , and then the shifter drops out from the bottom . Even after all this removal of parts I still cannot gain access to the back 2 nuts because of plastic parts covering the nuts . Some how these plastic parts ( they look like a shifter gate and cooling ducts ) lift off and then the back 2 nuts can be removed and the shifter will drop out . If I break these plastic parts I am screwed . I need to know how to remove the plastic parts without breaking them .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I NEVER got an answer
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.

Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product

Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

I will get you correct information until we have this resolved

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
what I have done in the past is bend the sheet metal just a little bit so I can access. To tell you the truth it is very difficult to understand where you are having trouble. Can you post a picture for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Roman, This is an automatic (tiptronic ) not a manual ...

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have done this many times, thank you the clarification. Please try to submit all of the necessary details in your original question o that we can help diagnose your question.

As in the past I have slightly bent the sheet metal to gain more access.

Have never had a problem and I am not clear on where you are stuck. Can you upload a photo?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Roman , Wile using a "little" gentle perswasion trying to get at those 2 bottom nuts, the plastic covering came loose and i was able to remove it entirely . I now have total access to everything . Problem solved ! thanks for the push CTG

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes I need to call Mr prybar for help. The sheet metal seems to be in the way. Great.
Roman, Technician
Experience: over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair