Bryan, Technician
Experience:  Four years experience diagnosing and repairing Audi vehicles
68592605

Audi A4 Quattro: You answered an Audi question for me a month

Customer Question

You answered an Audi question for me a month or so ago concerning timing chain issues. Still working on the engine. After pulling the engine and taking covers off, the odd bank intake adjuster assembly bolt was almost completely out. Need to know if there are procedures to check for wear on timing chains, adjusters, etc. I don't want to just reset the timing and put the engine back in and wind up doing again in 10k miles. Car has 110k miles now.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hello

My name is Bryan I will be glad to assist you today in answering your questions.

Chains wear well, I would say the chain should be fine. Now as for the adjuster they wear badly, and I would suggest replacing the adjuster because I have reused them only to go back and replace them within 1000 miles.

Audi/ Vw does no supply a spec. measurement on the chain or a measurement on the adjuster.

Best regards