gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy

Audi A5 Quattro: Looking for detailed service records on a

Looking for detailed service records on a 2012 Audi A5 Prem Plus Quattro - VIN# XXXXX

According to what I saw in the Carfax, the vehicle had its services performed at Audi dealerships, so I'm hoping the detailed information exists in their records. The car currently has just over 17,000 miles on it, and I want to know if it has had the intake valves inspected for carbon buildup, as I know this can be a problem with DI engines. Thanks!

Just the Pre-Delivery inspection, 5k maintenance (5055 miles), and 15k maintenance (15357 miles). Unfortunately our system won't let me post a PDF file... But that's the only warranty work done on it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Is there a detailed breakdown of what was performed during each maintenance? Do you have any general information regarding what I should do to avoid carbon buildup? I have read some reports that seem to indicate that this less of a problem with the B8 A5's than it was with the B7's.

Also - my email address [email protected] Would you mind emailing me a PDF copy of that report? Thank you so much for your help!

as you can see- it blanks out your email address. I'll have to see if I can send it through the site moderators. It's basically just an oil change, and the 15k gets a pollen filter

I'd say make sure it gets driven hard to warm it up- carbon sticks to condensation, burn that off and you shouldn't have an issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Do you know anything about the design of the B8 engine vs. B7 on the 2.0T A5's? I've read that Audi made design modifications to the engine (possibly additional port injection) to help prevent the carbon buildup problem. However, the information I've seen online has been conflicting.

I haven't dug into it that much- there are some guys around the dealership who are "trivia geeks" and seem to absorb everything they read, but I don't go that crazy- a lot of it doesn't come in handy when working on it, though something like that which might affect the cause would be good to know- but I haven't heard anything specific
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, well what action would you recommend for a car with 17,000 miles? I'm not sure that fuel additives like BG44k or the like would have much of an effect, since the fuel (and detergents, etc.) never touch the valves. Also, can I take the vehicle into an Audi dealership for an inspection of these valves and have it be covered under the existing factory warranty?

There are induction services that can be run that direct a cleaner (in spray form) down the intake while the engine is running- typically a service that is done in the shop, not at home, as it requires an induction machine. The carbon isn't covered under warranty even under lower mileage. And there's not really an easy way to inspect it without removing the intake.

Main thing is just making sure to use "Top Tier" gasolines that are clean, and the proper octane rating for the vehicle (premium grade) and to drive it hard enough- not short tripping.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - you've been very helpful, and I will make sure to rate your service as such. I do have one more question -- how much can I expect to pay for the induction service? I've read that it might be a good idea to have the valves inspected every 20k miles or so, and then cleaned if necessary.

I do avoid short tripping as much as possible - my commute to work is about 10-15 minutes on surface streets, and I almost always try to let the engine warm up before taking off from my driveway.

It all depends on the dealership- where I am it is an hour shop labor, and about $40 for the chemicals. It varies widely from dealership to dealership, and some independents will do it as well- just look for one with extensive Audi specialization and experience.