AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

I plan to tow a tent trailer, gross weight 3200 lbs all loaded

I plan to tow a tent trailer, gross weight 3200 lbs all loaded up, with my 2011 Audi Q5 4 cyl, which is tow rated for 4400 lbs. Should I have a transmission thermostat installed to be sure the tranny is not heating up on hills?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 10 months ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

With your planned tow weight being 75% of the rated capacity, in my experience, no extra cooling is necessary for the vehicle

Customer:

Although not necessary, would you advise having one as a precautionary measure? I live in a pretty hilly/mountainous area in the interior of BC, Canada.

AudiDoc :

oh, that is a bit mountainous. It's definitely not going to hurt anything to keep fluid temperatures down in the 240-250 degree (F) range

AudiDoc :

do you already have a hitch installed, and is it the Audi factory hitch?

Customer:

Do you have any idea of approx. cost for the tranny thermostat?

AudiDoc :

I actually don't know cost, since Audi dealers don't offer it, so hard for me to estimate price

Customer:

I had a hitch installed, but not an Audi factory hitch. These guys are supposed to be the most reliable outfit in the city. When I asked about the electrical hook-up, they said it is an after-market one, and had quite a time installing it. There are electric brakes on my tent trailer, and they put a brake controller in the Q5.

AudiDoc :

Ok, not the best solution, in my experience. When I install the Audi factory hitches, I also have to reprogram 6 or 7 different on board computers in the car to recognize when the truck is towing

Customer:

Oh-oh. Maybe I should be taking it to the Audi dealer (2 1/2 hrs drive) to have that done, or is it too late if it is not an Audi hitch?

AudiDoc :

well, hard for me to say, since I don't know enough about the aftermarket hitch setup, to know if anything can't be undone. Truly a judgement call on your part. I just like that everything is very plug and play with the factory hitch, even the calibration of the ABS, traction control and steering is changed once the electrical connector from the trailer is connected

Customer:

Do you think Audi Canada would know if the onboard computers can still be reprogrammed like that if an after-market electrical hook-up is done? The guy that did the work assured me that the installation was equal to the Audi parts.

AudiDoc :

one moment please.....incoming phone call

Customer:

You have been super helpful, but now I'm worrying that I've spent almost $1000 as a mistake. Sure hope not!

AudiDoc :

I hope not also...they may be able to reprogram the proper bits necessary. Again, difficult for me to say. If they used the correct wiring harness adapters, then it should be able to be done

Customer:

I'll follow up on that

AudiDoc :

ok, sounds good. Sorry to worry you

AudiDoc :

I just like to be thorough

Customer:

Not at all. Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the excellent service. If you happen to find out any more about this, I will check back later, or maybe this site gives me an email notice if there's anything else. Thanks again!

AudiDoc :

actually, even after rating, you will be able to respond with a followup if you need any further information. Without knowing the exact wiring setup in your car currently, sadly I won't be able to give you much if any more information

Customer:

Okay, thanks. Well worth the $18!

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop