Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner
2947720

Audi TT Quattro: How do I know when to replace my timing belt

Customer Question

How do I know when to replace my timing belt on my 2001 Audi TT? First time it was replaced was at 80,000 miles. Now has 153,000
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

Actually on the 1.8 dual overhead cam, turbo engine the timing belt is due at 105,000 miles. If it was done at 80,000, (73K ago) so it wouldn't be "due" for another 32,000 miles but it wouldn't hurt to do it a little sooner.
.

AUDI

1.6L {1}
1.7L & 1.8L SOHC Replace Every 90,000 Miles
1.8L DOHC Replace Every 105,000 Miles
2.0L Gasoline Replace Every 105,000 Miles

If you need further help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you don’t need any further assistance, please rate my service, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I have a 1.8L, 2001 TT. What I hear you say is that since I replaced it at 80,000 and it should be able to go another 105,000, then I can wait until I have about 185,000 (probably a little less) miles to have it replaced again.... RIGHT?

Also, if the mechanic was to show me the timing belt, what are the indicators that it is worn and should be replaced earlier than the 185,000 miles?

Thanks,

Lauren

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I don't know where you read that. What I said was, "so it wouldn't be "due" for another 32,000 miles but it wouldn't hurt to do it a little sooner.
.

Really should be done EVERY 105,000 miles.
.

.

.
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello Lauren, Super mechanic here. I was just wondering how your vehicle is and wanted to see if you may need any more on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. No other questions at this time.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Lauren, just let us know if you need anything, we are always here, thanks