AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

audi tt: i have a check engine light its on my AUDI TT 2004

i have a check engine light it's on my AUDI TT 2004 with the code p3081. last week i change all the G12 with the proper mixute and i wash the bottle and change the auxilliry water pump that the check engine light come on . the level cooland it's good . i have full power and everything work well. what is the problem
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

This code comes on when the computer senses that coolant temperature is too low, or the engine doesn't come up to temperature quickly enough after a cold start

AudiDoc :

There are usually 1-3 reasons for this

AudiDoc :

1) faulty coolant temperature sensor. This part is installed in the plastic coolant outlet flange at the rear of the cylinder head. It's a 4-pin sensor, with 2 pins sending information to the instrument cluster, and 2 to the engine ECU

AudiDoc :

2) faulty thermostat. When these fail, they fail in the open position, which will keep temperatures too low

AudiDoc :

3) cracked water pump impeller - if the water pump is original, and/or the timing belt has more than 70,000 miles on it, it's time for a timing belt and water pump replacement, and at the same time, I strongly recommend replacing the thermostat, and coolant temperature sensor as well

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank'sto the reply, more info it happen again when i changed the setting from air conditionnig to heat

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
When the AC is on, it puts more "stress" on the cooling system of the vehicle, which effectively increases coolant temperature. When you turn the heat on, excess heat is dissipated from the cooling system into the car, which effectively lowers coolant temperature.

So, my three suggestions made are still valid in this case.