AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi 3.0: I have 2004 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 The problem is

I have 2004 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 The problem is when AC is switched on it doesn't give cool air rather its a exhaust of hot air. Not sure what is faulty. and how much will it cost to get it repaired
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Since it doesn't sound like any diagnosis has been done yet, I can only give you some pointers, and common reasons for this

AudiDoc :

The first thing that fails is the high pressure refrigerant sensor on the right side of the AC condensor inboard of your right headlamp

AudiDoc :

Second most common reason for this is a leak, that will require the system to be recovered, evacuated, recharged and ultraviolet dyed in order to determine the leak source

AudiDoc :

there are a small hose of other sporadic faults, which will require an Audi specific scan tool to communicate with the HVAC computer to determine

AudiDoc :

checking to see if you're able to respond

Customer:

Sounds like i have to take it to dealership or a mechanic to get it fixed

Customer:

any idea how much it will cost based on defect

AudiDoc :

well, as is often the case with AC problems, possibly

AudiDoc :

if it's the high pressure switch, this is quite an easy fix

AudiDoc :

costing no more than $200 parts and labor

AudiDoc :

to do leak checking as I indicated should be about the same money, and if the leak is extremely small, then you may even consider not fixing the leak until the system runs low again

Customer:

is there any way i can check if high pressure switch is off

AudiDoc :

If you have a multimeter with a pair of wire piercing probe attachments, yes

AudiDoc :

you'd need to remove the passenger headlamp

AudiDoc :

start the car, turn the ac on, check for power on either side of the switch

Customer:

ok

AudiDoc :

if it's powered, good. Then remove connector to switch and jumper the connectors on the harness with a piece of insulated wire

Customer:

is there can be a case if freon is not able to interact with AC system

Customer:

and hence no cooling effect

AudiDoc :

not exactly sure the question

AudiDoc :

this car doesn't use freon as a refrigerant

AudiDoc :

if there isn't R134 refrigerant in the system, then they system will not turn on

Customer:

yesterday one mechanic take a look at the car and said somehow Freon is not able to go to the AC system hence its not working so just checking if that can be the case

AudiDoc :

I would avoid using that mechanic if that is the explanation.

AudiDoc :

since the car doesn't use freon

Customer:

ok got it...thanks for the help..i will take it to some recognized service ceter

Customer:

*center

AudiDoc :

but if he's talking about not being able to introduce refrigerant into the system, that is a very rare problem

AudiDoc :

and likely not the case for you

Customer:

ok

AudiDoc :

Check in your area for European car specialist

AudiDoc :

or independent Audi shop

AudiDoc :

that will save money from going to the dealer

Customer:

thanks a tonne for the help

Customer:

have a great day

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop