AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

Audi Tt: The folding top indicator light keeps coming on.

The folding top indicator light keeps coming on. I would like to remove the liner and see what the problem is. I have figured out how to remove the sun visors and center light but I still can't get I'm remaining panel to remove. What would be still holding it?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Hello again, and thanks for asking for me

AudiDoc :

Can I assume that the light stays on even after you turn the latch closed?

AudiDoc :

I'll hold here in live chat to see if you're able to join

Customer: I'm using my iPhone for this for the first time so I'm not sure how to work but. Yes the light keeps staying on
AudiDoc :

Ok, I have an easy fix for you. It's not "by the book", but it's a solid fix

AudiDoc :

the left softtop latch "claw", when it engages, engages inward, and presses on a lever in the windshield header receiver

Customer: Sounds great I've done some spacers and things and got off in the past but now I can't get it to do that
AudiDoc :

oh, you've done this already?

AudiDoc :

meaning, affixed a piece of cardboard or similar to the latch lever?

Customer: Yes I've done that several times and it's worked great however now somehow it's not working and I think I need to get the liner off to see how to get to it. But can't figure out how to remove the liner
AudiDoc :

ok, now it gets a bit complicated.

AudiDoc :

you'll likely need to replace that top latch switch.

AudiDoc :

One moment. Need to see if I have this procedure here

Customer: I actually have an honey manual which shows me how to remove the Remove the visor and also the center light and I'm stuck
AudiDoc :

Honey manual? Autocorrect for Haynes manual?

Customer: No I'm talking about a Bentley auto manual this iPhone just took it wrong
AudiDoc :

that's exactly what I was accessing remotely at my shop, but you're saying that the rest of the procedure isn't there?

AudiDoc :

Haven't opened the manual yet

Customer: It doesn't show me how to remove the liner panel so that I can get to the switch That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do
AudiDoc :

ok, got it. Checking other resources. It's been a long time since I've actually replaced the switch assembly. Do you have a new one yet?

AudiDoc :

Ok, that liner panel should be held into place with clips only, so gentle prying will release it

AudiDoc :

also, there is an adjustment on the switch/anchor assembly

Customer: I started to cry it but I was afraid I was going to break something. What do you mean by anchor switch assembly
AudiDoc :

meaning the part in the windshield header that acts as the anchor for the softtop latch, which also incorporates the microswitch

Customer: I said cry but I really meant Pry
AudiDoc :

love autocorrect :-)

Customer: In summary, I guess if I remove the sunvisors, remove the center light switch, then if I pull on that top liner it should come out without breaking anything. I think then I should be a will to find the switch and figure out how to fix it or replace it
AudiDoc :

wait...I may have found some great details for you

AudiDoc :

Let me leave you with this also. It's from the UK, but just mirror image it

http://public.fotki.com/BlueTTop/hardtop-for-mk1-audi-tt/hardtop-instructions/hardtoppage1.html

AudiDoc :

it's a hardtop retrofit guide, but should have the windshield header info there also

Customer: Okay thanks a bunch and my correct if I give you a rating good or better you'll get paid your $18 last time I did this I wasn't sure
AudiDoc :

yes, correct on that. And as last time, glad to help

Customer: If I click on that link am i my going to go out of this particular screen will that link be in an email that you sent to me
AudiDoc :

yes, correct, and I can still respond back if you reply using that link

AudiDoc :

oh...sorry misunderstood. That link will be part of the chat transcript that you will receive

Customer: I just tried to give you a rating and it said that you weren't finished giving me an answer so I have to leave now but I will give you a rating good rating center whenever I can
AudiDoc :

sorry about that.

AudiDoc :

fixed now

AudiDoc :

please try again :-)

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop