AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4 Avant: 01 audi a4 avant boost issues I have a boost

01 audi a4 avant boost issues I have a boost gauge and it boosts up too 14psi just fine to 3000 rpm then it drops to about 3 psi and holds sounds like waste gate opens this is a brand new turbo with 1000 miles on it I also live in the middle of no where how would I diagnose this issue
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Ok, so there are two real key pieces of equipment that would help us get through this

AudiDoc :

also, you mention 14psi....what software are you running, and did you replace with a factory turbo?

AudiDoc :

meaning Borg Warner K03

Customer:

completely stock everything oem replacment turbo

AudiDoc :

ok, good info, thanks. The 14psi part is the telling one

AudiDoc :

you're overboosting

Customer:

how do i adjut that at home

AudiDoc :

are you sure you hooked up the N75 boost solenoid back up correctly, and did you check the lines for any breaks?

AudiDoc :

it sounds like the N75 valve is not functioning, and the wastegate is just functioning off of spring pressure

AudiDoc :

the N75 is the part here with the electrical connector to it (ignore the red circle)

Full Size Image

Customer:

i did not personaly install it had a shop put it in spent alot of money getting that fixed so they installed it for free as a favor tranny went out spent alot of money with them so.they.did.me.a.favor guess not :(

AudiDoc :

ok, understood, and I'm not sure your mechanical ability or collection of tools, but this would be the first thing I'd have them check

Customer:

they are 300 miles away i am pretty good with wrenching on cars just not audi this is my first one so just check hoses and connections how.can i.tell if its bad?

AudiDoc :

The N75 valve....it's going to require a hand held vacuum pump to check connections, a multimeter to check the valve for 30 ohms across the connector.

AudiDoc :

Ideally, a way to check for boost leaks would be best

AudiDoc :

here is an excellent thread outlining exactly how this system works

Customer:

ok i have volt meter no vaccum pump would it be easier to.just replace or disconnect?

AudiDoc :

I wouldn't advise spending money on a valve on a hunch. I really don't think the valve itself is bad, but boost/intake/wastegate hose leak testing is VERY important here

AudiDoc :

either the valve may be installed backwards (you'll see the correct orientation in that link) or there is a leak

Customer:

any way to test that at home?

AudiDoc :

Test what, for leaks? Without a vacuum pump or smoke generator, nothing you can do beyond a visual check

AudiDoc :

here is another excellent post showing details of the system. It's about replacing the turbo, but there is other pertinent information as well

AudiDoc :

but please understand that visual checks are often not enough

AudiDoc :

unfortunately, there's only *so* much we can do through a computer screen, but the information should get you started

Customer:

i understand it appears to be installed correctly how would i check it with the vaccum pump and what should the readings be? 30 oms accross the plug i can do that

AudiDoc :

You need to use the vacuum pump to check integrity of the two N75 hoses, or remove them with the N75 to check for leaks or splits visually

AudiDoc :

botXXXXX XXXXXne is to use those pictures in both of those links to make sure that everything is connected properly and securely on the turbo inlet hose

AudiDoc :

but without a smoke tester or VAG-COM scan tool, any further testing will have to be left to a shop familiar with Audi

AudiDoc :

and being honest, the shop who did the installation should handle this, however I do understand the distance issue

AudiDoc :

if there are any further questions, you will receive a link in your email to respond back, as I do need to convert to email format out of live chat now

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks ill see what happens

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
glad to help