Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Audi TT: I have a 2003 Audi TT. At 84000 miles the car shut

I have a 2003 Audi TT. At 84000 miles the car shut off at traffic light. Had it towed to shop. They told me timing belt broke. After replacing and machining head they got is back together and couldnt get codes to reset. They replaced cam sensor. Now they are saying that the computer went bad which then caused the timing belt to break. It it this possible?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. No this is not possible, it sound like the computer was the original problem and they misdiagnosed it as the timing belt. I'm assuming they are not getting signal from cam sensor which is why they replaced it, the only other thing to check would be the wiring. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else at all I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They replaced timing belt and then told me valves were damaged. How could they misdiagnose that?

My question is could the computer go bad and send wrong signals to cause timing belt to break?

They are now trying to reset computer. How much to replace it?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

If the valves were bad then it wasn't misdiagnosed but it still shouldn't cause the computer to fail so I would say it is either a wiring problem or coincidence. The computer could fail causing vehicle to run rough which would put more strain on timing belt but if it was not running rough then I do not think that is the cause. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks Daryl.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How much does it normally cost to replace computer?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It is around $800, if you look around you might be able to find a cheaper source such as ebay or www.modulemaster.com Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database