AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A6 3.0: Had this Audi diagnosed. Suggestions by a reputable

Had this Audi diagnosed. Suggestions by a reputable German car repair shop (Momentum) suggests that bad motor mounts are the culprit and should be replaced $1300. CV Boots should be replaced $500 and replacing timing belt should be replaced $1100. Cars not worth much more than that. What's the downside to just driving the car as is until it dies which I realize could be tomorrow or in 2 years.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Ok, is this 1300 for just the front 2 mounts, or all 5 mounts (snub and transmission also)?

Sorry, chat failed, and now in email format.

How many miles are on the car also, please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

5 mounts, 88k milage. Otherwise in good shape as far as I know except for other issues mentioned above

Ok, so the engine/transmission mount estimate is pretty high, considering that retail price on all 5 mounts is $475. Which would make labor to change them $825? This is about a 5-6 hour job.

Conversely, timing belt estimate is quite low for this particular engine. I would want to make sure that it's a COMPLETE belt job, including water pump, all seals, all rollers, tensioner, basically everything from the block and heads forward.

CV boot estimate is dead-on normal.

If you're keeping the car for 2 more years, get the boots and belt job done. I can't remember the last time I had to replace a full set of mounts on a 3.0 v6.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Perhaps I was not clear. Don't really want to spend any money on a car worth $4000, less in current condition. Is there any significant risk to driving the car as is until it dies, however long or short that is?

If a CV joint fails then the car will stop moving forward, and you'll have to have it towed and replace the axle (not hideously expensive)

If any part of the belt drive fails, the car will immediately become worthless, as major internal engine damage will happen, that will cost more than $4k to fix.

So, mostly a judgement call on your part at this point.