gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy

Audi A4 Quattro Avant: I have a 2010 A4 Avant Quattro that

I have a 2010 A4 Avant Quattro that needs 1 qt of oil added every 3000 miles. I took it to the dealer for its 35K service and they also performed a"part one oil consumption test" and noted the following on the invoice "performed TSB(NNN) NNN-NNNN3 set level measurement of 82.45. At 34534. RR breather and seal performed reflash,torqued dampener bolt to spec. Ran checked operation ok"

Since I left the dealer I have had to continue adding 1 qt of oil every 3000 miles. There is no warning light/message when the oil is getting low so I have to monitor it via the car setting.

This does not seem normal to me, is it? What else can I have done to the car so that it stops consuming so much oil? Thanks

If they did the "oil consumption test part 1", they should have given you instructions to come back again within a set mileage- at least 1000 miles- without adding any oil in the meantime. The second part of the test is that they drain the oil again, and weigh it, to see how much your vehicle has consumed in the amount of miles you have gone. Audi has a very specific rate of consumption that is "acceptable" and just averaging it out to "1 qt in 3000 miles" is not good enough, they want scientific readings.

Check back with your dealer- when they did the first part of the test they should have done an oil change to set the level correctly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They did an oil change for the 35K service, but did not give me any instructions to come back at a certain mileage. They told me they replaced the RR breather Valve and replaced the crankshaft seal and thought that would take care of the problem. I will ask about part 2 when I go back for the 45K in a week. What about the lack of a check oil warning light or message? Shouldn't a warning light appear as well?

A warning light will come on if the system registers a low oil pressure- usually at that point you are pretty low on oil, and the pump is pumping aerated oil rather than thick oil from a full pan.

Are you not still under warranty on this? IF you addressed it and they attempted a fix already, at least it is documented.

Let me have your VIN and I will look up build data, see if there are any common issues on your engine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My warranty runs out at 50,000 miles and I am at ~42,000 right now so I want to get it fixed before it is at my expense.

OK- so the valve they did is usually one of the major culprits of oil consumption. If you still have something going on, make sure they do the entire consumption test again- they can't do step two now if you have added oil, and if they didn't tell you that is not your problem it is theirs. They will have to do step one again, set the level, and have you come back after 1000 miles or more without adding any oil.