AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4: My 2007 Audi A4 Turbo AWD just got its 105000 mile

My 2007 Audi A4 Turbo AWD just got its 105000 mile servicing yesterday. Today while driving it, the automatic transmission suddenly malfunctioned. By this I mean, when I accelerate from 0 to any speed it does not move up from first gear and just revs all the way to 4/5000 RPM.

A little bit of troubleshooting helped me temporarily solve the problem. I switch to tiptronic mode and drive up to 4th gear and then when I switch back to automatic it works fine. However, just a couple of hours ago the MIL(malfunction lamp aka check engine light) came on. It is not blinking but just solid. I am leaving the country soon and am renting this vehicle out to someone while I am not in the country. How severe is this issue and how long would I likely have to leave it at the audi service center till its resolved?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc : Hello, I'm Jason.I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.
AudiDoc : Ok, first off, it's actually good that the MIL came on
AudiDoc : this will help with troubleshooting
AudiDoc : so you can shift it normally in tip mode, no odd behavior there?
Customer: yup i can operate it perfectly well in tiptronic
Customer: other than the fact that its a little jerky
Customer: but thats the normal gear change in a manual car sort of feeling
AudiDoc : Ok, this may be something as relatively simple, possibly a transmission range switch
AudiDoc : not the most inexpensive repair, at about $600 parts and labor, but this definitely doesn't sound like an internal fault
Customer: wow.
AudiDoc : I would expect the turnaround to be no more than 2-3 days
AudiDoc : however, I can only go by experience with these, since we don't know the fault code stored in the transmission control module
Customer: ok my next question is, could the 105000 mile servicing potentially messed it up?
AudiDoc : extremely doubtful
Customer: also, does this affect other parts of my transmission.
Customer: like does it affect my timing belt
AudiDoc : while somewhat comprehensive, it would be a challenge to actually make the car behave as you describe
AudiDoc : it will not affect the belt
AudiDoc : it could affect other parts of the transmission if not attended to within 100-200 miles
Customer: and finally, what if I decide to use the car as it is, with my strategy of switch from tiptronic back to automatic
Customer: OHHH
Customer: ok so I have to attend to it before lending it to my friend who plans to drive it all summer?
AudiDoc : That would be best, yes
Customer: alright. well thank you for your information
Customer: Its unfortunate that this happened
Customer: and I guess I will get it fixed ASAP.
AudiDoc : yes, I'm sure the timing is not good
Customer: ok so transmission range switch right?
Customer: i just want to have an idea so i dont get duped
Customer: by the audi service people in my city
AudiDoc : well, let's not hang our hat on the range switch
AudiDoc : without data, I can only give an experience opinion
Customer: oh for sure. but i have an idea at least.
Customer: thanks a ton.
Customer: good night
AudiDoc : glad to help. Take care
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop