Bryan, Technician
Experience:  Four years experience diagnosing and repairing Audi vehicles
68592605

Audi A4 Cabriolet: I have a 1996 Audi Cabriolet. The automatic

I have a 1996 Audi Cabriolet. The automatic top does not operate and the luggage compartment lock doesn't either. Are they related? Do they operate on the oil system? Is there a way to open the trunk? Thank you. John
Category: Audi
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello

My name isXXXXX will be glad to assist you today in answering your questions.

No the systems are separate the trunk is just a lock mechanism it does not require oil

I don't think they are related, I have seen this issue several times, the pump motor for the top goes bad or the fluid runs low and the top wont open. as far as the trunk I don't know any other way into it other than through the lock, a lot of times the actuator rod inside the trunk will break and not move to unlock the trunk on the newer audi we would just climb through the backs seats and unlock the trunk but I believe on your model that is not possible because there is not release from inside the trunk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Bryan. Is there a way to check the fluid in the top mechanism? Is it hydralic fluid or use regular oil? John

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Its hydraulic fluid part number g 002 500

I have used chf 11s in a before, but the audi fluid is recommended,

The CHF 11s will work I have seen where it crosses over to the part number for audi or Volkswagen

You can find chf 11s at most European parts stores or you can purschase it online.

Bryan, Technician
Experience: Four years experience diagnosing and repairing Audi vehicles
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

When you check the fluid look around the pump for leaks those pumps were known to leak all the fluid out, and end up killing the pump below is a digram showing the hydraulic system, after you have checked and filled the fluid it says in the manual you should operate the roof 5 times and reinspect the fluid level