Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Audi A3: 2004 A3 2.0 FSI Hi, I have a small hesitation/misfire

2004 A3 2.0 FSI
Hi, I have a small hesitation/misfire at 2k and lack of power only when hot- fan runs intermittently even when the car is cruising- I have checked N80 and its functioning fine but I can suck and blow freely through the charcoal canister, should there not be a check valve? and help is would be greatly appreciated, thanks (stressed peugeot technician)
Codes are as follows
16825 18354 16804 16814 16395
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Eurocar Inc :

Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can. Quality research = Quality answer!!

Eurocar Inc :

ok 3 of the codes pertain to timing issue, evap incorrect flow, and catalyst issues

Customer:

these are as i pulled them

Customer:

16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys P0441 - 008 - Incorrect Flow - Intermittent 18354 - Control Module 1 for Coolant Fan P1946 - 004 - Defective - Intermittent 16804 - Catalyst System; Bank 1 P0420 - 002 - Efficiency Below Threshold - MIL ON 16814 - Catalyst System; Bank 2 P0430 - 002 - Efficiency Below Threshold 16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake) P0011 - 008 - Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced) - Intermittent

Readiness: 0000 0000

Customer:

sorry that came out a bit funny

Eurocar Inc :

ok the timing issue needs to be addressed first

Eurocar Inc :

was there any other repair work done to the vehicle?

Customer:

the belt was recently replaced and the timing marks are correct but im assuming your suggesting the chain?

Eurocar Inc :

possibly that you may have a high pressure fuel pump and camshaft issue where the lobe of the camshaft for the high pressure fuel pump and the follower has worn away

Eurocar Inc :

with that issue i can see where the power will be reduced and misfires also

Eurocar Inc :

did you remove the high pressure pump and inspect the follower and camshaft

Customer:

Next on my list, would the wear to the lobe be clearly visable?

Eurocar Inc :

Full Size Image

Customer:

I intend on changing the chain and tensioner while im in there but is it possible the the cam phase adjuster or housing could be faulty?

Eurocar Inc :

if you are on stage 3-4 then the camshaft is no good and the follower and the high pressure pump is bad

Eurocar Inc :

possible especially if the follower is at #4 then metal is throughout the system

Customer:

I see, would this throw up a timing fault? would i not excpect to see a fuel pressure fault?

Eurocar Inc :

then you will be dropping the pan to inspect and maybe replacing the oil pump and then you will be replacing the phaser adjuster and the timing control too which is the chain adjuster cover assy. there is a repair kit for that

Eurocar Inc :

it comes with the phaser the cover assy with the electric control

Eurocar Inc :

you will not see the pressure fault until the folower is at #4 and the stem of the pump is worn away and then the pressure will not go up to snuff then all kinds of issues occurs

Eurocar Inc :

sometimes i do see that the whole cylinder head needs to be replaced

Customer:

I see, lots of work for me so! is the cylinder head replacement due to a lack of oil pressure?

Eurocar Inc :

yes correct due to clogging of the oil pickup screen and pump

Eurocar Inc :

you have a big task at hand here

Customer:

so basically first step check the cam lobe and replace if necessary, check chain and allignment also?

Eurocar Inc :

yes correct note oil pressure controls timing!!

Eurocar Inc :

anything else you need to know?

Customer:

I removed the oil pan recently and checked the pickup which was clean

Customer:

coolant fan issue?

Customer:

would i be correct in saying they have an issue with the control module?

Eurocar Inc :

replace both fans! the module is incorporated in the big fan and controls the small fan too. the fans has been updated to new and revised part #'s

Customer:

Also my EVAP issue, when checking the charcoal canister I can suck and blow on both pipes, should there not be a check valve also could this give me the catalytic converter codes

Eurocar Inc :

replace the canister assy with the purge valve and the plastic hose that goes on top of the intake and the little bent hose that goes from the plastic hose to the canister purge valve. that will take care of the p0441 fault. revised and updated parts

Eurocar Inc :

need to resolve other issues and then retest for cats

Eurocar Inc :

the camshaft and the canister issues are technical bulletins and updates

Customer:

I see thanks

Customer:

where to start!

Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience: Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs