AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi TT Quattro: hi, 2008 audi tt roadster, passenger window

hi, 2008 audi tt roadster, passenger window wont close. make awkward sound on way up. now the window is almost completely open but wont raise. but intermittently I was able to close it this week.
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

The typical cause for this is a broken window regulator

AudiDoc :

The regulator is the window lifting assembly inside door panel

AudiDoc :

The regulator assembly is $299 and labor to replace is approximately 2.5 hours in a shop

AudiDoc :

So estimate about $550 (US) to have it repaired. I know prices are higher in Canada, but don't know exactly how much higher

Customer:

ok, do you know if there may be a recall for this? from what I can tell online it seems like a recurring problem for this model.

AudiDoc :

Let me check for you. It is a pretty common problem, but I don't believe there is a recall

AudiDoc :

I will confirm this however

AudiDoc :

Sorry, no recall on file for this problem

Customer:

alright.

AudiDoc :

sorry about that bit of news

Customer:

it just sucks cause now it wont close at all. sorta stuck with an open window.

AudiDoc :

maybe have another person try to lift up on the window as another is pressing the close button, or is the window completely retracted?

Customer:

it comes out. then back in. sometimes in same place and doesn't necessarily retract

AudiDoc :

that sounds like the pinch protection acting up due to the regulator cables binding

Customer:

cheaper? diy?

AudiDoc :

let me see if there is an aftermarket regulator available

AudiDoc :

Unfortunately, the regulator is only available as original equipment on the MkII TT

Customer:

ok so regulator cables binding still means broken regulator?

Customer:

I thought you meant it didn't need to be replaced

AudiDoc :

The cables are part of the entire regulator assembly

AudiDoc :

the regulator does need to be replaced as a unit

Customer:

ok ok

Customer:

thanks I guess

AudiDoc :

Wish I had better news or the magic bullet fix for you

Customer:

no worries

AudiDoc :

But I've got to be as straight as possible

Customer:

lol, I know. peace dude

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop