Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Audi A6 Quattro: CEL codes

Hi, my CEL came on in my Audi A6 2001, and i connected the vag com and got 2 codes; p0441 and p0430, I googled to see what they were and was sent here, do you have any suggestion on how to fix? also my airbag light is on, middle rear seat tensionor ingnitor, is there a fix for that?

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Sorry for the long wait.

Many techs have looked at your post and have not felt comfortable helping. This area of concern is not my strongest point but I will try to help as best I can at least with some information. I have access to a lot of repair guides so I should be able to at least do something to aid you if your still needing help and willing to let me try.

Once I post an answer you will be prompted to rate me, not the site or wait time, or the news in my answer. Please let me know exactly what you need from me so I can earn a good rating.

Chris

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well I was hoping to get some ideas on how to fix whatever was triggering the check engine lights and the codes that i listed. However during the wait, I've decided to take the car to a mechanic in person.

Sorry , we could not get to you sooner, please do reply back to me later if help is still needed. I mainly work the later part of the day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well if I will be charged the $18 I may as well see if you can help.

My check engine light came on a few days ago I bought a vag com to check the code, and i got these two codes:

P0430 - Catalyst System; Bank 2: Efficiency Below Threshold

P0441 EVAP Purge Valve

The airbag light was also on, and this was the code that came up for that;

N198 - belt tensioner igniter (rear middle)

I would like to find out if I could DIY repair any of those by myself.

Code 0430 means the converter on bank 2 has reached its limits or effectiveness, the converter will need to be replaced. You can do this if you can get the car up to work under it, I recommend aftermarket converters, there much cheaper.

Code 0441 Test the canister purge solenoid valve for correct operation by manually applying power and ground to the solenoid it must open fully when activated and close fully when deactivated. Inspect the solenoid for contamination if none is found then replace the solenoid. This can also be done at home.

Air bag light, is on due to a faulty tensioner in the rear. Check for wire or pin corrosion in the connector, if none if found then replace the tensioner.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

check for a wire or pin in the connector? where is that located?

At the belt tensioner, the part that you pull the seat belt out of, there is an electrical connector there, this is the connector you need to see if there is any reason for it to be making poor connection that can result in resistance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no connector there, its the middle rear seat, so the tensioner is inside the seat.

There are 3 different options. If you have a rear center lap only belt then you should not get this code. If you have a rear center shoulder belt then replace the tensioner for it. If you have a rear center lap belt and a passenger rear shoulder belt that comes out from the passengers left shoulder then replace that tensioner.