AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi TT: what is fault code P0036 for 2002 Audi tt or Generic

what is fault code P0036 for 2002 Audi tt
or Generic P0141
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Both fault codes are currently being read out?

AudiDoc :

I also need to know if your TT is the 180hp or 225hp version

AudiDoc :

Not sure if you're able to respond here, but if not, I can convert to email format

Customer:

Also, my engine has started to die right after it starts my car (some time 3 times in a row). It seam that if I pump the pedal it it comes out of it and starts. It sound just like normal when it starts but then dies instantly. This happens about 1 a week. The first time it happened the engine light came on (first time a month ogo). My care is 180hp (not quatro)

AudiDoc :

ok, thanks. Now, still need to know if both codes, P0036, and P0141 are showing up

Customer:

O-Riellys said PC141 was generic code showing up - but the P0036 code was a Audi code he didn't have. So I thought i would see if you had that code.

AudiDoc :

that I do. One moment please

AudiDoc :

Ok, the P0036 and the P0141 both pertain to a failed heating element in the rear oxygen sensor

AudiDoc :

so, a rear sensor change will fix this problem

AudiDoc :

however, the rear sensor does NOT affect running characteristics at all, so this will not help the starting issue

Customer:

I am at work so if I don't respond right away you will know why. my first mechanic said that senso was bad because my oil lead fould up the downstream sensor does that make sense? Why did engine starting problem start when engine light first came on?

AudiDoc :

The oil leak will not foul the sensor. Sensor heaters just stop functioning after a while. Normal failure

AudiDoc :

Not sure why the starting problem happened at the same time, but I will mention that the generic parts store scanners don't often pick up all of the engine ECU information

AudiDoc :

whereas a dedicated VW/Audi scanner, such as VCDS/Vag-com from Ross Tech will

AudiDoc :

so it's quite possible that there are other fault codes stored

Customer:

Do you think I should go have audi scanner guy check out before i replace sensor?

AudiDoc :

No, the sensor is definitely bad. Replace with genuine Bosch.

AudiDoc :

But there may be other fault codes related to the starting problem

Customer:

OK thank what do I owe you?

AudiDoc :

All you need to do so that I get credit for this session, is to give a positive rating. Thanks

Customer:

I will be happy to do that. I am also working on a low beam head light problem that I would like to talk to you about some time when I am not at work. Will I get E-Mail sow I know how to contact you?

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop