eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic
6149662

Audi A6: About a week ago I noticed that my Transmission started

About a week ago I noticed that my Transmission started to slip. I have a 2003 Audi A6 4.2L. It seems that it first occurred after I had been driving it a while so I assume it may have been warm. At first it acted like it was in neutral and then dropped into gear abruptly. I took it to my Audi Mechanic and he replaced all of the fluid and put on a new filter. He even added an additive by BG Products that is suppose to soften the seals. I was suppose to drive it 200 miles. At first it was much better and then it began to slip every now and then, but no consistently. In an effort to work the transmission and soften the seals I drove it on the highway about 20 miles and when I was turning around to come back it seemingly stayed in one gear, probably 4th gear. I could get the car to move but the transmission would not shift in to 1st gear. All of the shifting position indicators lit up with a solid red band so it was probably throwing a code. With these symptoms does this sound like my transmission is shot? This came on very quickly with no apparent warning. The car has 164K miles on it and runs perfectly. I have noticed in the past that it has shifted slowly from first to second sometimes when going up hill but that is the only thing I have noticed. I sure would hate to sell the car or buy a new transmission if it is something far simpler and far less expensive. Thank you for your help! XXX XXXXXXX

Category: Audi
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. have you scanned the transmission for trouble codes?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes we did run the codes but i do not know what they said. Until the shift position light lighted up there was not a code, but when that happened my mechanic could read the codes. That is what caused him to think the transmission was failing. I drove it home today about 3 miles and it worked fine. My question is is there something simple or are we looking at a failed transmission?

Jim

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.
from the sounds of it the transmission is failed....but some testing can be done to verify. Generally when a tranny is slipping and the fluid is full it means there is interal wear on the clutch packs and rebuild or replace is needed
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase mechanic