gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy

I have a 2007 Audi Q7. A few months ago, I took it to a mechanic

I have a 2007 Audi Q7. A few months ago, I took it to a mechanic to try to diagnose a noise with the fan motor. The mechanic ran some diagnostic program and said I needed a new "control panel" and quoted me $1,000. When I picked the car up, the AC was not working altho the heat was but only if the ECON button was on. The dealer said I needed to replace the blend doors and the fan motor and that with labor it would run about $1,800. For obvious reasons, I'm afraid to get a 3rd opinion. The noise, by the way, is probably the fan motor because it stops when I turn it off and I now have no air coming from the driver side. I live in the South so I am now desparate. What do you think?
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 12 months ago.

I could understand a noise with the motor- if the bearings are failing. But these digital climate control modules, they set faults all the time for the blend doors. You need to actually clear the faults, and try to adapt the end stops, before you condemn and replace them. A lot of times it is just a sporadic "hiccup". Usually if a blend motor fails it will sit and "tick" as it adjusts.

It sounds like they may not have coded the display panel right when replacing it- which should have been covered in the labor quote, if they did not do it then they should pay to have the dealer do it if they cannot.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

"You need to actually clear the faults, and try to adapt the end stops, before you condemn and replace them"

I don't understand this statement (I am not a mechanic) and I haven't replaced anything yet. The first mechanic said they "reset" the faults and that's when I lost AC. They said they couldn't replace the control panel because that had to be done by an Audi dealer. The dealer said nothing about a control panel and didn't seem to understand the need for doing that. They said 2 of the blend doors were bad but recommended replacing all of them because of the labor costs.

The module often records faults that are really just sporadic "hiccups" in the system- that's probably why the first guy recommended the display panel- because it is the control module, and seeing multiple faults he thought it had to be the module rather than multiple other things. The A/C shouldn't cut out just from clearing the faults out of the module. If the blend doors truly are bad, then it could be that it is preventing the hot/cold changeover and blocking the A/C from blowing the cold air through.
I'd trust the dealer better than the independent.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

So you're saying its the blend doors and it's just a coincidence it went out when the first mechanic ran the diagnostics?

It may have been a "sporadic" fault, and when they cleared Italy now register as "static" so won't let it adjust. Or maybe it just needs the door motors to be adapted, which runs them all the way open and all the way closed- if there is a problem during that it will set a fault again.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

So it can be adjusted without taking out the dashboard and replacing the blend doors? Or is it now "stuck" for good?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hello?

No, I'd say if the second place you took it also diagnosed the blend doors, then those motors are probably bad- and if the fan is making noise, then the bearings are probably failing and it also needs to be replaced.
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience: VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The first place didn't say anything about the blend doors but he makes more sense than the first guy.

Thanks for your advice.