gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

Audi 2002: Hello. I have a audi a4 2002 1.8t with 145k on the

Hello. I have a audi a4 2002 1.8t with 145k on the clock. The dipstick funnel was broken shattered in my places. Having replaced that part and an oil change it started smoking heavily (smoke is white/gray but smells of oil) After having a think about it I took the dipstick out and it mostly stopped smoking. Think it was just burning off the rest of the oil left over. So now I know that it is having problems breathing and is breathing through the funnel. Having just got the car I think that the funnel was broken for sometime so it has been running with the fault for a while. Having had a look at forums some people are saying head gasket, breathing tube, turbo.. But I'm not sure what my problem is still.. Ryan
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The 1.8T has a couple common points in the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system that tend to break. I understand what you are saying about it breathing through the dipstick tube, and it is possible that the vacuum amplifier is also faulty and sticking.

The PCV hoses under the intake manifold, including the Y pipe at the end of the valve cover gasket tend to get brittle and break, we replace all of these at the same time as trying to do one piece at a time usually breaks the next piece in the chain.

The vacuum amplifier is a small black plastic cylinder, a hose at each end and one coming out at an angle, also installed into one of these vacuum hoses coming from the intake manifold but usually mounted above the manifold or between the runners.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. As I thought breathing problem.
So in a list what are the parts you surgest I change?

Also I think it has had this problem for sometime. Could it damage anything else and would it still be safe to use (with dipstick removed) until I can fix it?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The parts can be different, depending on your engine code- and most online parts dealers don't even have them, it's a situation where you will have to go to the dealer parts dept. Just tell them you are doing the PCV hoses and they will give you everything, it is about $500 in hoses, seals, tubes, etc. Remember the vacuum amplifier.

As long as you don't run out of oil you should be OK.

gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience: VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry been busy. Ok that's great. Just done a oil change so no problem there.

Thanks a lot for your help.