Mike, Technician
Experience:  Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..

Audi A4: took my car for engine light,thats it,drove 34 miles

took my car for engine light,that's it,drove 34 miles rattle under hood ,replaced coils,cam shaft adjuster,oil pump. Now got white smoke coming from pipe,why?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this -

What is the mileage on the car?

Do you have any fault lights on the dash at all ?

What has been checked so far?

How bad is the smoke ?

Rgds - MIKE.......................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

199,210ish on lights no indicators flagged at present...lots of whit bellowing smoke for tail pipe still hear slight rattling from engine.

Oil pressure light came on after leaving,getting engine diagnostic of 'check engine' and bulbs, returned to shop..the rest is history.

Replaced..coils,plugs,temp sensor,oil pump(had plastic bits in it!),camshaft adjuster(suppose it was the noise developed!),3 oil changes(supposed filter was wrong size,oil wrong type).

Hello again Sherman - Thank you for your reply. Im sorry I missed you late last eve..

Ok well "white" smoke coming from the exhaust of a petrol / gas engine, is generally down to coolant getting into the combustion chambers somehow - This can be down to head gasket - head or other mechanical issues allowing water / coolant in -and it then burns off down the exhaust emitting as steam - white smoke...

With the extra info you have provided I see you have had quite a saga and spent a lot of time / money on this -

The next best / cost effective way forward would be to have a co test done or a Dye Test done on the engine / cooling system to see why this is happening as above and then go from there.

Wrong oil will cause what you have had - oil light, clattering etc as it gums the engine valves up etc but it wont cause the white smoke issues so you need to check / work forward on this side of things as above. These do suffer with water pump failures - Again -it all needs checking as above to see whats causing this - then you can progress with this...

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike ,thanks again for the through overview of the information given you. Got a oil line issue it seems starved my turbo bearings..bad(clogged) sending unit...hmmm. Would this account for the smoke? Do you know of any repair shops in Seal Beach area?

Again guys, Mike was really clear from what I told him. Great job!

Hello there Sherman -

Thank you for your reply -

That added info, yes it could Sherman - it certainly needs checking out as if its a known fault you have..

Im afraid Im not in your locale at all though so I cant recommend any one - What I suggest is to do a local telephone book search - or a local net / web search Sherman - you should be able to find a good repair shop that way -

I hope all goes ok for you -- and you are Welcome back anytime..

Best Rgds- MIKE..

Ps... I note your kind comments at the end of your reply Sherman - Thank You !

These are only visible to you and I.. If you would like to email in your comments - to [email protected] - and fill in the Feedback -- I would really appreciate that - Thank you once again - and again - All the best to you ..