Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner

Audi A4: 2004 A4 Quattro 68,000 miles taken to the dealer

2004 A4 Quattro 68,000 miles
taken to the dealer for everything
Loud ticking noise, took it to the dealer and they said it was cylinder #2 needs to be replaced.
$5,300.00 - does that sound right?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

Being that you can't change one cylinder are they replacing the block? (short block) Or are there other parts that need replacing, (top end)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He told me it was the #2 cylinder
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
That must be for a short block. Depending on the labor rate and fluids and filters, yes, $5300 sounds right.
'.

2004 Audi A4 Quattro Sedan (8E2) V6-3.0L

Short Block

Includes: Crankshaft, Pistons, Oil Pump & Oil Pan.

06C100103CX

$4084.99

Labor Information

Skill Level

Mfg. Warranty

Standard

Engine

Replace

Complete Assembly Without Transfer Of Parts

Does Not Include: Transfer Of Any Part Or Engine Or Replacement Of Optional Equipment.

B

0.0

12.8

Complete Assembly With Transfer Of Parts

Includes: Transfer All Fuel & Electrical Units. Does Not Include: Transfer Of Optional Equipment.

B

0.0

15.3

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm thinking that with only 68,000 miles on the car is it right that it needs to be replaced already?

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
That is not considered 'normal' but it does happen. It also doesn't happen very often. I have seen it on vehicles with less milage than that and it also depends on what the cause was and if the engine has been run hot, dirt in the oiling system, etc. but a defect from the factory would show up a lot sooner.
.

**You have to the hit happy face or a high rating for me to get paid for the answer.*****

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner