AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A6 Quattro: Hi there. I have a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro with

Hi there. I have a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro with 2.7L APB engine. I think that I have a failing turbo on the passenger side (making a noise like "woooooooo" when accelerating under load). I love this car but can't afford to replace the turbos right now so my thought is to try to force the wastegate open to stop the turbo from spooling up. My question is how to access the actuator rod with the engine still in the car? I've tried everything I can think of, can't get a tool on the adjuster.
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Customer:

Hi there Jason. Good morning

AudiDoc :

good morning to you also

AudiDoc :

so, question for you. Is this car an automatic or 6-spd?

Customer:

auto

AudiDoc :

there is no possible way to reach the wastegate rods

AudiDoc :

without pulling the engine

Customer:

lol. at least i know i'm just not crazy. there is no way.

AudiDoc :

and while it's a good idea in theory, the turbos will still spool

Customer:

oh. well do you know any other tricks to disable a turbo?

AudiDoc :

None. On this car there is no room for bypass, and if you tried such a thing, engine management would put the car in limp home mode

Customer:

i am ready to put a bullet through it if necessary.

AudiDoc :

and believe me, I know these engines intimately

AudiDoc :

I've got 2 myself

Customer:

yes, that's why i asked you. i've read your answers and know you know your stuff

AudiDoc :

oh cool. Thanks :-)

Customer:

i have two also, this one and an allroad

AudiDoc :

and my stable is Allroad/S4, but both with a bunch of upgrades

Customer:

i guess i will have to take it off the road until i can afford to replace the tiurbos

AudiDoc :

dentist drill noise?

Customer:

thank you for answering my question. no, more like a train whistle

Customer:

woooooooooooooooooooo

Customer:

also hear a little tinkling metalic sound like the vanes hitting the housing

AudiDoc :

hmmmm. down on power or any smoke?

Customer:

no smoke yet, can see oil leak on the turbo housing tho

AudiDoc :

external leaks are usually just oil line gaskets or crush rings

Customer:

turbo doesn't make any noise when just reving the engine, only happens under load.

AudiDoc :

might be worth having a pressure test on the boost side and smoke test on the intake side done

AudiDoc :

before condemning a turbo

AudiDoc :

How many miles and are there any check engine lights on?

Customer:

no check lights but has 125k so could use new turbos probably anyway

AudiDoc :

possibly, although the C5 is a bit easier on turbos than the B5

Customer:

i will have it checked more fully before replacing but i guess i will have to start looking for new turbos or maybe a whole new engine

AudiDoc :

I'm sure the engine is fine. But yep, a good idea to have some sources on deck for replacement turbos

Customer:

thanks for your answer, i appreciate your time on a sunday

AudiDoc :

glad to do it :-)

AudiDoc :

and good luck

Customer:

thanks. bye

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop