cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician

Audi 90: I started my car the other day and the radiator fan

I started my car the other day and the radiator fan was running louder than normal. I put the car in Reverse, then back into Park. As soon as I put it in Park, there was a very loud screaching from under the hood. Put it in reverse, it stopped. Neutral, screaching. Any of the driving gears, no noise. It drove fine, but the windows would not go up or down, the turn signals didn't work. When I got to where I was going. I turned the car off in gear, then put it in park, started it again, and it was and turn signals worked. What in the world could it be?
Ok where exactly was the noise coming from?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was coming from the engine under the hood, seemed to be toward the front or top of the engine. Lynda

Sounds like the begging of the alternator starting to fail. This will cause the noise and all of your electrical gremlins. Also a damaged belt will also cause this. So you need to have the charging system checked as well as the belt for this issue.. This is the next step. It can also be a seizing fan so make sure these items are ok. These are the next steps. Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance just let me know. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.