AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4: Is there a solinoid on an 04 T4? The starter does

Is there a solinoid on an '04 T4? The starter does not seem to be engaging.
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

There is a starter solenoid, but it's part of the starter assembly itself

AudiDoc :

When you're having trouble starting, is there any noise at all?

Customer:

Yes, like a tic, tic, tic. not the dreaded dead battery sound.

AudiDoc :

Ok, sorry for the delay here...

AudiDoc :

had to run out to the shop briefly

AudiDoc :

so, this turns into a bit of process of elimination

AudiDoc :

And actually, your description of the noise does actually sound possibly battery-related

AudiDoc :

So, here are the steps

AudiDoc :

1) definite battery test, meaning voltage and load test
2) if battery passes both tests, when there is a starting problem, time to check for voltage at the small electrical terminal on the starter. Needs to be battery voltage when the key is turned to the start position
3) if you see voltage there, and the battery is good, then replace the starter

AudiDoc :

If you don't see voltage here then we will have to go down another path, but that path is dependent on whether you have a manual or automatic transmission

Customer:

automatic transmission.

Customer:

when my son was trying to start it he was using jumper cables. The car had been sitting for awhile.

AudiDoc :

even with cables, if the battery is very low, it won't accept a jump

Customer:

He said it would turn over but not engage

AudiDoc :

ok, that's something different than what was originally described

AudiDoc :

So the engine is spinning over just fine, but just won't start?

AudiDoc :

still with me?

Customer:

yes i am here. waiting to talk with my son. it sounded from his description like the starter was turning over but not engaging the engine.

AudiDoc :

gotcha. Please let me know for sure, because the troubleshooting steps are quite different for a crank, no-start, and no-crank no-start scenarios

Customer:

ok, i may need to get back to you later. how would i continue this later?

AudiDoc :

I'll convert it to email, then you can reply as needed

Customer:

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am back with more information on the 04 Audi T4 that will not start
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Just please respond to this, since I cannot open chat back up, with your information. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is not that it will not turn over but that it will not start.m when it would start it would do so only getting to a few hundred rpm's.
Has been told by a mechanic that he suspects a timing belt "stretched too much. Is this possible on this car?
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Well, this starts to get a bit more complex. For what it's worth, any vehicle starter only turns the engine over at about 200-300 rpm.

With that said, I would be very dubious of the mechanic's suspicion. Timing belts don't stretch. They break. If they stretch, it's only less than about 1mm. The car will still start.

Time to get the car to someone who can do the following tests:
1) fuel pressure. If it's not there, then it's a possible pump.
2) spark? if it's not there, then it's time to consider a crankshaft position sensor, but that's somewhat rare on these.
3) engine timing. If the engine sounds significantly different while cranking, the belt may be broken.

These are the preliminaries.

My gut sense is fuel pump, but again, I have VERY little information to go on. Just experience with these cars.
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will have him check those things. Wish I could be more specific but he is not around when I need him. Oh well, thanks for trying.
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Just let me know when you have more information for me.