Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

Audi TT: Just bought my daughter an 04 tt . The engine normally

Just bought my daughter an 04 tt . The engine normally purs like a kitten but when u start it for the first time of the day it almost sounds like the engine has a load on it for the first 10 to 45 seconds. Then it smooths out and runs great the rest of the day.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name isXXXXX will
do my very best to assist you with your question today.

Is the check engine or any warning lights coming on?

Also when you say the engine sounds like it has a load on it,do you mean that it seems to be reving high?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The check engine light came on the day after I got it during one of these cold engine starts. It's less like a choke type high rev and more like a laboring rev deeper sound. Then instantly goes to normal idle when it stops.
Ok,this issue is consistent with the system detecting a fault with the camshaft position sensor on start up.The camshaft position sensor identifies position of the camshaft to the ignition control module (ICM), engine control module (ECM) or powertrain control module (PCM.Since the issue goes away rapidly this would mean that the sensor has not completely failed.What I would suggest as a first step is to have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why would it do this on only cold starts?
This is when the sensor is faulting,it is common for a camshaft sensor to cause a issue with the first start of the day and then not give another issue,however if the cam sensor is failing the issue will get worse and start to cause a issue with every start and eventually not start.Of course the vehicle would need to be scanned before replacing anything,but just from the description of the issue,this is where i'm leaning.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will this sensor if it were the issue b something that would b identified by scan. If so would it b something that I could change.

Yes the scan tool will detect a code for the sensor malfunction and this would need to be changed by the dealer or a independent shop as the system will require the scan tool after the replacement of the sensor.

Thank you and don't forget to rate the answer for me, you can always respond back to this question at any time even after rating.