AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

Audi A4 Avant quattro: I bled my brakes but forgot to remove

I bled my brakes but forgot to remove the calipers before doing so and now they are locked.. How do I correct this error?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Actually, brake bleeding needs to be done with calipers and pads in place.

AudiDoc :

how exactly did you perform the brake bleed?

Customer:

well I put the bleeder tool in the hole by the caliper and let it suck all the fluid out and now the claiper is clamped down on the rotor

AudiDoc :

Well, each caliper has a bleed screw that fluid flows through.

Customer:

I might have also mashed the brake pedal

Customer:

right.. both the back ones are locked down

AudiDoc :

what bleeder tool did you use? A vacuum bleeder? Did you continue to fill the master cylinder reservoir during this process?

AudiDoc :

meaning the rear bleeder screws were frozen in the calipers?

Customer:

Oh no.. The screws came out.. It was one of those tools where you stick the little hose in the a holes for the bleeder screws and it sucks out the fluid via natural 'non-mechanical vacuum'

Customer:

I did not fill the fluid as I was draining it though

AudiDoc :

Ok, so we've got a few problems here

AudiDoc :

1) you've got a LOT of air in the system due to not refilling as you went

AudiDoc :

2) an as of yet undiagnosed locked caliper

AudiDoc :

both rears are now locked down, correct?

Customer:

Yeah I knew I was forgetting something.. I was thinking that maybe the caliper is locked due to something electrical?

Customer:

Yes

AudiDoc :

definitely not electrical, on a 2000

AudiDoc :

rear calipers get locked for 3 reasons

Customer:

Which are?

AudiDoc :

1) parking brake cable or lever is stuck
2) sliders are corroded
3) caliper piston is stuck, which will require another special tool to determine

AudiDoc :

also, with the pedal application "mashing the pedal" during this process....

Customer:

Aaaaaaah! I think I did have the parking brake still engaged before I started!

AudiDoc :

well, I'd gently suggest that possibly a tow to a shop would be the quickest and most cost-effective solution here

AudiDoc :

however, I'll do my best to help out

Customer:

Let me run and check.. Be back in 30 seconds

AudiDoc :

however, please understand the limitations of doing this through the computer screen

AudiDoc :

and when you get back, even if you find the parking brake locked, you still likely have air in the system

AudiDoc :

and it will need to be bled out properly

Customer:

YTeah the brake was on

AudiDoc :

ok, that was easy enough

AudiDoc :

now, is there still fluid in the reservoir?

Customer:

I could still feel the brakes are locked down

Customer:

Yes there is still some fluid left in the reservoir

AudiDoc :

ok, that's good.

AudiDoc :

sounds like you're out of the woods

AudiDoc :

but fill the reservoir!

AudiDoc :

so you don't get air into the system

Customer:

Well there's not a lot of fluid left in the reservoir but there is a little

AudiDoc :

ok, fill it with DOT4 fluid

Customer:

What should I do after that?

AudiDoc :

well, if you've bled out the fluid properly, and the pedal feels ok, you're done

Customer:

THe brakes will just unlock then?

AudiDoc :

well, I thought you said the e-brake was on?

Customer:

Yeah it was I took it off but I stuck my hand in the wheel basin to feel the brakes and they are still locked down

AudiDoc :

feel the brakes? Can you physically turn the rotor?

Customer:

nope

AudiDoc :

ok, is the emergency brake lever on the inside of the caliper resting against its stop?

Customer:

Let me go look real quick

AudiDoc :

alrighty

Customer:

That's the white nub right?

Customer:

Everything looks as it did before I started bleeding the brakes except for the pads are pressed against the rotor so that it can't move

AudiDoc :

The pads always look like they're pressed against the rotor. Try this. Throw a wheel on, screw in a bolt, try to spin the wheel. There will be some resistance, due to it being a Quattro, but if you can spin it without a lot of effort, everything is ok

Customer:

ok.. Hold on a sec

AudiDoc :

no problem

Customer:

Yeah I can spin it

AudiDoc :

it's fine. There's always a bit of friction between the pads and rotor on any car

AudiDoc :

it takes more effort to try to spin the rotor without the weight of the wheel/tire assisting

Customer:

So all I have to do now is just bleed it again and remember to put fluid in as I do so ?

AudiDoc :

why bleed it again?

AudiDoc :

if there was still fluid in the reservoir, and the pedal feels good, I'd suggest not

Customer:

WEll I have to get the air out of the system right?

AudiDoc :

I assumed you ran the reservoir dry

AudiDoc :

if the pedal feels good, with engine running, there is no air

Customer:

No there was about an half inch of fluid left..

AudiDoc :

yes, I understand that

Customer:

Hold on a sec..

AudiDoc :

ok, but I do need to sign off shortly

Customer:

Ok so the brake pedal goes all the way down with ease

AudiDoc :

Ok, it needs a proper bleed, and that means not using the tool you're trying to use

AudiDoc :

which also means 2 people need to be involved

AudiDoc :

I'm sure the pedal mash didn't help

Customer:

Yeah I imagine not

Customer:

Ok cool thanks for all your help

AudiDoc :

Bookmark this for future reference

AudiDoc :

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-eurodoc/

AudiDoc :

and let me know when you're preparing to tackle a job on an Audi

AudiDoc :

Now, two person brake bleeding

Customer:

Will do

AudiDoc :

let me link you to a video

AudiDoc :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPwM2vn3bT0

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.