AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4 Quattro: I have a A4 Quattro 3L with a seized engine.

I have a A4 Quattro 3L with a seized engine. Ext. warranty co. says it must of been "dry started" at last oil change. (96,380 mi.) causing initial damage to main bearing which later (282 mi.) later seized the engine. My mechanic said rt.side head seized and cam was spinning freely. My question is is it possible and how would I prove it , whos paying for the engine to be replaced?

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Ok, first thing I need to know is a detailed sequence of events

AudiDoc :

As a quick dry-start isn't going to cause irreparable damage like this, unless the car ran for a while

AudiDoc :

it looks like you're not available for chat now, but I will check back in in a few minutes

AudiDoc :

Ok, changing to email format now. Please give me a bit of background of what led up to the seized engine.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I wasn't available for the chat. Best of my recollection. My son and I checked out the 3 weeks ago. Previous owner took excellent care of the car and had all the service records and 3 mos. left on a premium warranty. With that in mind I ok, buying the car. He owned the car for 10 hrs.. took a short 30 mi. trip that night and 25 mi. into the trip the oil light
came on then after hearing a strange noise, began to loose power and pulled off the road. Had the car towed back to my mechanic and then to a local audi dealership who stated rt. side head seized and timing belt was shredded probably due to a clogged pick up screen. Oh ya. both the kid and dealership verified it had oil on the dipstick.Contacted warranty co. and getting the run around for 2 wks. now

Ok, let me start by saying that a failure like this is pretty difficult to diagnose remotely, and exponentially tougher through the computer screen. However, what I have is intimate knowledge of the AVK-code 3.0 engine in the Audi A4 and A6.

Let me first say that the Audi dealer is completely off-base saying anything about oil starvation due to a clogged oil pump pickup screen. This was a problem with the 1.8T engine (only the A4/Passat version of it), and not the V6.

These engines don't typically have oil pressure issues at all, but if the red pressure light comes on, there is precious little time to shut the car down to avoid damage. Literally no more than 10-15 seconds, depending on engine RPM. If the car was driven even a half mile once the oil light came on, damage is irreparable.

However, I'm curious why the warranty company is balking on covering the repair. Usually they will send an independent inspector out to verify damage and cause.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for shedding some light on that engine. I'm guessing there looking for an exclusion in the contract. The only thing I read that might pertain to this situation is "failure to protect your vehicle from further damage when a breakdown has occurred. I don't if I need a good mechanic or a good lawyer

Likely both. A good independent Audi shop is key here. A lawyer....a very good idea.