eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic

Audi A4 quattro 2.0 turbo: CEL came on and I am getting cam

CEL came on and I am getting cam shaft positioning sensor error code. Car runs rough when cel is on.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

whats the code #?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There may be a few causes:
-Poor oil quality
-Incorrectly adjusted camshafts
-The timing gear belt has jumped off the cogs
-Mechanical fault in the variable valve timing (VVT) unit
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just changed the oil a few days before but it did go over the km's where it should have been done.
Are any of these other probs very serious. $ wise. Should I replace the sensor. Is the car ok to drive. Any recommendations?
how many miles on the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
220,000 km's
Timming belt was done @150,000. Car has run like a top since I bought it new in 07. All hiway km's
The code you have translates crankshaft position-camshaft position correlation,bank 1 sensor "A". There are usually two things that cause this fault. One thing is is the oil gets sludged up from lack of service it can cause a clog in the chain tensioner for the cams. This will cause the timing to go out sporadically. If you have had it serviced properly this really shouldn't be the issue. The other possibility is the timing chain for the cams jumped on the sprocket causing the timing to be out on the engine. Normally the car will not run very well if this happens. If the car seems to be running well, I would try to just erase the fault and see if it comes back. If it does you will most likely have to have it checked by a mechanic to see if the timing is off. Unfortunately this is not an easy thing for your average person to check. Contact me if you have further questions regarding this issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you
your welcome