AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4: how do I change the cvt fluid on my 2009 A4 sedan

how do I change the cvt fluid on my 2009 A4 sedan
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Customer:

hello

AudiDoc :

Do you have the specific filling pump and connection for this?

Customer:

no

AudiDoc :

There is absolutely no way to refill this without the specific fittings and fill pump, or gravity feed bottle

Customer:

the pump seemed to be for the oil pan type trans

AudiDoc :

it's for both, unfortunately

Customer:

so where does the fluid go back in

AudiDoc :

pretty much every VW/Audi transmission, from 05 and up requires specific filling equipment

AudiDoc :

One moment....I'll get a picture up

AudiDoc :

Full Size Image

AudiDoc :

drain plug and fill plug are one and the same

Customer:

while your doing that where abouts are you located in the us

AudiDoc :

You have to extract the fill insert out of the drain plug to drain, and install a new one to fill

AudiDoc :

I'm in the Northeast.....we'll say South Canada

Customer:

wow

Customer:

im in calif

Customer:

cvt 17 fill adapter needed

AudiDoc :

absolutely. I think I spent about $600 on the fill pump and fittings

Customer:

the drain plug comes out and and then another plug comes out

AudiDoc :

exactly

Customer:

im a master Nissan tech and we have a similer thing on some of our stuf

AudiDoc :

Cool, so you understand the need for specialized stuff at times

Customer:

so I pull the first plug out and it may dribble out

AudiDoc :

if it's not running, sure. The level is above the top of the tube

Customer:

then pull the second plug and that lets the fluid come out

AudiDoc :

or should be anyway

AudiDoc :

exactly

Customer:

then put the plug back in and then put the #17 adaptor in and fill

AudiDoc :

yep, use about 4.5 liters

Customer:

then take the adaptor out run car and so it just dibbles out when hot

AudiDoc :

to start with. Start the car, rev engine briefly, go back and forth through the gears, remove adapter, let it dribble out

AudiDoc :

hot is a relative term. About 95F/40C is the best time to plug it up

AudiDoc :

I'm sure you already know, an Audi-specific scan tool is best for temp measurement

AudiDoc :

since it doesn't have a pan, using an infrared temp gun won't work quite as well

Customer:

ok thank you it sounds like the Nissan

Customer:

yes

Customer:

warranty on cvt only 50k

Customer:

?

AudiDoc :

I actually think it's shorter than that, but don't know 100% for sure

Customer:

read lots of people having complaints on them

AudiDoc :

yep, I'm not a fan at all

Customer:

how did you get started on this just ask thing?

AudiDoc :

Let me get you a link

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

I can do Nissan stuff 24 years of dealership

AudiDoc :

There are a couple of fantastic Nissan guys here, but we don't cross paths a lot

AudiDoc :

http://www.justanswer.com/professional

Customer:

thank you for your help does this pay ok

AudiDoc :

well, we're not allowed to discuss earnings, but I'll just say that it would surprise you

Customer:

ok thank you !! maybe all my knowledge well come to good use

AudiDoc :

very possible. Take care!

Customer:

thanks for your time will give you a excellent

AudiDoc :

appreciated

Customer:

no prob

Customer:

have a good one

AudiDoc :

likewise

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop