AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A6: readiness codes on audi a6 what is the real story

readiness codes on audi a6 what is the real story behind this. I have no check engion light. Just replaced water pump timing belt and o2 sensor. Car has no acceleration. (taking back to look at that on Monday) "not completed' Smog test OBD catalyst OBD sec air need on to go away befor smog will pass.. help what is the drive cycle
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

I have a few questions

AudiDoc :

so, it sounds like we have 2 problems here

Customer:

ok I will answer them

AudiDoc :

the power loss is likely keeping the readiness tests from running

AudiDoc :

did you replace the belt yourself, and if so, were ALL belt-related parts replaced, all 4 special tools used?

Customer:

no I had the shop do it.. they did say they orderd a special tool

Customer:

i suspect it was a timing issue

AudiDoc :

I'd bet a hundred bucks that it is

AudiDoc :

I've seen this so many times with 3.0's, more so than any other Euro car I work on

AudiDoc :

people don't do it perfectly, and this particular engine, requires absolute perfection when setting timing up

Customer:

ok so knowing this what can I tell this shop on Monday. that can help them resolve the issue. I am not a yeller or screammer

AudiDoc :

well, let me ask this. Is this shop Euro/Audi-specific?

Customer:

no sorry to say no.. this all started with a water pump I thought ok nuts and bolts is nuts and bolts

AudiDoc :

in a lot of cases, I agree, but these are another story altogether.

AudiDoc :

Hard to say how to handle it though. Here's how I would....

AudiDoc :

ask them what tools they used to time it up, and if they reset the cam sprockets

Customer:

do have a list of names of these tools, and to see if they rest the cam sprockets..ok got that

Customer:

you

AudiDoc :

Let me show you a picture of the cam setting tools used (there are two, one per bank). Ignore the paint marks, since this is another of a dozen times we've had to retime an AVK engine due to another shop messing them up

Full Size Image

AudiDoc :

the previous shop used paint marks

AudiDoc :

list of tools:
1) crank pin
2) cam jaws
1) timing sprcoket reset socket

AudiDoc :

*sprocket

Customer:

ok the big question if I have to cut my loses what is this going to run if I go to the right type of shop

AudiDoc :

well, are all of the belt parts new? Meaning pump, all 3 belt rollers, belt tensioner damper?

AudiDoc :

and if I assume they didn't use the cam jaws, you'll need new valve cover gaskets

Customer:

I they just changed the belt

AudiDoc :

ok, that's bad too. Most dealerships are around $2300. At my shop, I charge a flat $1650

Customer:

im dead

AudiDoc :

I'm so sorry. Please don't shoot the messenger

Customer:

ok thats sucks...so looks like I should of just left the belt on...ok lets talk these not completed stuff. what have u heard about theses

readiness codes
AudiDoc :

well, I know readiness well

AudiDoc :

the reason they're not completing is because of the current state of tune of the engine

AudiDoc :

if the engine was timed up right, they would likely run through....

AudiDoc :

Also a regular Audi/Euro shop can use their vag-com scan tool to run readiness in the shop, in 10 minutes, without having to drive the car a single foot

Customer:

i know you seem to think that if the timing is right the codes will reset..ok I am good with that... what is a "drive cycle"

AudiDoc :

drive cycle....that's an EPA definition

Customer:

I have heard that in my research but did not under stand it.

AudiDoc :

That's starting the engine cold, going through 30 some-odd steps of accelerating, letting the car idle, cruising at 60 mph, decelerating, and so on....

AudiDoc :

it's a test that cannot be done in the real world because there is such a thing called traffic

AudiDoc :

if you have your own test track, it can be done

AudiDoc :

however, most cars, during a normal course of about 30-50 miles of driving, will set all readiness monitors, IF the engine is running properly

Customer:

yee gads...ok well I am satified I will print this out and see what happens. I think the shop should of said hey we can change the belt due to we dont have the tools to re time right. now I think you can change the water pume with out touching the timing bely?

Customer:

belt

AudiDoc :

No chance of replacing the pump without removing the belt. I should have a picture of this too

AudiDoc :

Ok, see the red circle here

Full Size Image

AudiDoc :

that's a broken water pump pulley, because the pump was not replaced during a previous belt job

AudiDoc :

there should be another pulley there

AudiDoc :

closeup

Full Size Image

Customer:

so it looks like they should of just ask me to leave haha hmm ok well lets see if they can do something.. this is my wife car ..she drives the dam thing less than 10 miles a day. I just need it to smog ...and run ...Thank you sir...

AudiDoc :

glad to help and good luck with all of it!

AudiDoc :

Might want to bookmark my direct page here

AudiDoc :

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-eurodoc/

AudiDoc :

if you have any followup later

Customer:

oh I think they are sincear just did not go through what was needed...

AudiDoc :

sure, I can see that

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop