AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A6 Quattro Avant: I am 2002 A6 Audi quattro. When I husband

I am 2002 A6 Audi quattro. When I husband who weightsXXXXX the interior lights and rear door open indicator on the driver side come on. If he moves around in the seat. it will go off but does come on again periodically while we are driving. It seems to occur most frequently when he is making a hard right turn. I recently noticed that the rear door on the driver side does not seem to be flush again the closing when it shuts. Help...what the heck is the problem?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Customer:

Hopefully you can provide the answer I've been looking for.

AudiDoc :

I'm sure I can....reading through now

Customer:

I have an appt with my Audi dealer next week and I am totally freaked and worried that this is going to cost weigh too much to diagnose and repair

AudiDoc :

Ok, couple of possibilities here

AudiDoc :

the easy one would be a faulty rear door latch. They're about $170 and take 2 hours to replace...

AudiDoc :

but with the fact that moving around while driving affects it, I'm thinking this is deeper than that

AudiDoc :

and the driver's seat is going ot have to be removed to check for chafed wiring between the seat area and the lower part of the pillar between the front and rear doors

AudiDoc :

that sounds more likely

AudiDoc :

removing and reinstalling the seat is pretty easy. Maybe a 30 minute job. Then wire tracing and repairing, another 2-3 hours of shop time, at the most

Customer:

was wondering if the lights coming on during a hard right turn would indicate an issue with the fuel float sensor or sending unit

AudiDoc :

nope, definitely not that

Customer:

it is all connected to the computer - right?

AudiDoc :

well, to a point, sure, but this isn't a computer problem, I'm certain

Customer:

So you think this is a wire issue under the driver seat? likely expensive to repair????

AudiDoc :

not terribly, I wouldn't think. Figire no more than 3 hours, multiplied by their shop rate. Or if it's a door latch, about $450 parts and labor

AudiDoc :

Figure

Customer:

one other issue I've noticed is that the audio from the car radio develops a scratchy sound after it has been on for awhile. I don't think my speakers are bad because the radio usually sounds fine when I first turn it on. The scratchy sound develops after awhile. Is that a case of a loss wire somewhere???

Customer:

or could this all be connected the problem with the wire under the driver seat???

AudiDoc :

if it's from the left rear, yes, possibly. Although these speakers do tend to fail after 10 years or so

Customer:

So how do I get a copy of these discussion to share with the repair shop....so they don't spend more time than they need to trying to diagnose the problem

AudiDoc :

you will have the option to print it out after rating. You should receive a link to the session in your email that you used to sign up for the site

Customer:

OK. how do I let you know if you're analysis was correct?

AudiDoc :

you will also be able to respond to it afterwards, but it will be in email format rather than chat

Customer:

thank you very much. I hope you're right with the diagnosis.

AudiDoc :

I'm very confident it's one of the two

AudiDoc :

I work on quite a few of these

Customer:

so you've encountered this problem previously??? with A6sss?

AudiDoc :

absolutely

AudiDoc :

and have done both repairs

AudiDoc :

about 10x as many door latches as wiring repairs, for what it's worth

Customer:

Is this a repair that only an Audi dealer can or should do? or can it be handled by my regular mechanic who services my car now?

AudiDoc :

if your regular mechanic is very familiar with Audi, sure. Otherwise I recommend an Audi/Euro specialist or dealer

Customer:

I'm curious tho...if it is the door latch in the rear...why does the problem only occur when my husband is driving? It doesn't happen when I;m behind the wheel.

AudiDoc :

impossible for me to know for sure, which is why I suggested wiring as a possible solution, rather than just the door latch

Customer:

OK. At least I have a few leads I can suggest they check out when I drop it off. thank you and I will let you know if you were right.

AudiDoc :

appreciated

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dropped my car off this morning with Audi dealer. Brought along your comments about the potential problem. Let's see how long it takes them to confirm the problem. I'll keep you posted ....I am worried about the cost for this repair given that Audi tends to charge a lot more for labor

barbara

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the followup, Barbara. Looking forward to hearing results.

Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi-- just to close loop on this problem. It was a wire in the driver's seat. it was apparently cracked I think and rubbing against the seat frame..grounding through the seat (whatever that means)

the seat had to be disassembled where the tech found the damaged section of the wire which he replaced. Took several hours and ended up costing about $460. They only charged me for some of the labor hours.

Not happy but the expense but not much I could do about that. Thanks for your quick response. Hope my case helps others who experience a similar problem.

barbara

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Much appreciated Barbara. This is the 3rd time I've heard of this, so it's good to add to the database. And yep, as I mentioned in our original session, this was definitely one of the possibilities. The labor is slightly high, but not out of the ballpark

Thanks again
Jason