AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

Audi A4 Quattro: have a 2002 audi a4 with 3.0. no start situation

have a 2002 audi a4 with 3.0. no start situation sounds like it wants to "pop" but just keeps cranking. have no idea where to start
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Did you replace the cam and crank sensors because you were seeing codes related to them?

Customer:

no i came across posts on a forum indicating this may be the issue I am throwing no codes

AudiDoc :

How many miles on the car, and when was the timing belt (complete job) done?

Customer:

115000 and i have no idea i purchased the car used

AudiDoc :

Also, when you mention no codes, is this with a generic OBDII scanner, or Vag-Com/VCDS?

Customer:

obdII

AudiDoc :

You're going to need to check to see if you have fuel pressure first. Then pull one or both upper timing belt covers to see if the belt is slack or missing teeth

AudiDoc :

Also, when you bought the car, was it running?

Customer:

just would like to mention that the car ran fine pulled it into the garage for the night went out next day and just cranks. i have removed the lines from the injector rails and there is fuel present

Customer:

yes it purred like a kitten

AudiDoc :

Ok, does it sound any different while cranking?

Customer:

how do you mean

AudiDoc :

meaning, does it sound like it's spinning over faster than normal, like there's a change in engine compression?

Customer:

i would have to say no it does sound like it wants to fire but it is not

AudiDoc :

I'd really recommend checking the belt

AudiDoc :

With unknown replacement history, it's overdue for breakage

AudiDoc :

obviously, check for spark also

Customer:

ok I am not an idiot when it comes to cars but with the coil packs on this car how do you check for spark without damage

AudiDoc :

no problem. It's a bit tough on these, since the coils are part of a loom

AudiDoc :

which means unbolt the coil pack loom from the valve cover, pull the coils out, then plug the front coil back in, stick a spark plug in it end, hold it to a ground and crank the engine over

AudiDoc :

2 people are necessary here

AudiDoc :

but these cars rarely lose spark

Customer:

lastly can the timing belt simply break after car was driven and than not change

Customer:

sorry my page was not scrolled don

Customer:

ok i was not sure if you could check for spark the old fashion way

AudiDoc :

The belt can break, as it's stressed the highest during a cold start

Customer:

well you have given me some direction and I at least have a staring point

AudiDoc :

the upper belt covers are easy

AudiDoc :

T30 torx screws.....3 of them, I believe, per side

Customer:

if no spark is present is this the ECU?

AudiDoc :

ECUs hardly ever fail in these. There would be another cause, but one that would require some multimeter testing.

AudiDoc :

Just checked a picture I took yesterday....upper belt covers are 2 bolts

AudiDoc :

Full Size Image

Customer:

yeah I figured it was that big of a job

AudiDoc :

The belt job is huge, requires a few special tools, and fearlessness

Customer:

no doubt well i think that we have gone as far as we can unless you have anything that you think you can ad

AudiDoc :

Those are the two majors

AudiDoc :

I wish you well with it

Customer:

thanks and I appreciate this service

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop