AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4 Quattro: Are you located in NY ? ive had an audi with

Are you located in NY ? i've had an audi with cel on for about a year and no one knows what's wrong with it .. it's an Audi A4 1.8 Quattro .. Help :(
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Customer:

Hello Jason ..

AudiDoc :

Hello there and thanks for asking for me

Customer:

:)

AudiDoc :

So, unfortunately due to site rules, we're not allowed to discuss a lot of personal information other than names

AudiDoc :

Wish it were different

AudiDoc :

Let me ask this though

AudiDoc :

Have you done a google search in your area for "audi repair" or "Audi service"?

AudiDoc :

Or do you know the list of trouble codes stored in your engine computer?

Customer:

i've taken it to the "best" mechanics..

AudiDoc :

Audi specialists?

Customer:

yes..

AudiDoc :

What area

Customer:

ridgewood .. brooklyn

Customer:

queens as well..

AudiDoc :

gotcha...

AudiDoc :

do you have the code list?

Customer:

it's p0411 and p0302 ..

AudiDoc :

sounds pretty easy really

Customer:

aip pum was replaced .. cat ..

Customer:

pump

Customer:

air*

AudiDoc :

the air pumps are usually pretty reliable on these

AudiDoc :

that code is usually on for other reasons.

Customer:

according to one of them.. i would need to remove my engine and get in there.. cause changing the coild pack and all.. didn't help ..

Customer:

cause the missfire was still in #2 when he swapped coils..

AudiDoc :

Ok, I'm thinking that you've got folks telling you a lot of stories and spending a lot of your money throwing parts at a problem

Customer:

:( i've noticed that :(

AudiDoc :

have they replaced plugs with NGK PFR6Q plugs, and used Audi coils?

Customer:

yes ..

AudiDoc :

also, have they smoke tested the intake for vacuum leaks?

Customer:

that i don't think so..

AudiDoc :

that's usually the 3rd thing I do with these

Customer:

that's the only thing i have left to do..

AudiDoc :

well, that and make sure the fuel injector plug is receiving power, and a pulsed ground signal from the ECU

Customer:

do you know any1 reliable in NY ?

AudiDoc :

not down that way, unfortunately. Nobody personally

Customer:

oh boy ..

Customer:

i went back to his shop last time and he said sai pump fuse wasn't working cause water got in it ..

Customer:

replaced it .. but still 0411 came back

AudiDoc :

hmmm....the pump will get water in it, if the combi-valve on the back of the cylinder head is hanging open. If that hasn't been replaced, that's likely the root cause

Customer:

is it hard to change the convi valve ?

AudiDoc :

Combi valve on these is a pain due to the lack of room between the back of the head and firewall. I usually charge 3 hours, and the valve is about $160

Customer:

sheesh...

Customer:

are you located far from NY ?

AudiDoc :

not fun,. but a pretty common issue

AudiDoc :

I'm about 7 hours from where you are

Customer:

:(

Customer:

oh, and im also having issues with coolant..

AudiDoc :

a bit of a list here

Customer:

keep loosing coolant.. and i look under it.. and nothing..

Customer:

yeah.. over 3k spent and no results ..

AudiDoc :

likely the plastic flange at the back of the cylinder head, best to replace with combi valve

Customer:

ok doc ..

Customer:

but how come i do not see it on the floor ?

AudiDoc :

wish it were easy, and wish I could lay hands on the car. We do work on a LOT of these

AudiDoc :

What happens is that the coolant drips on a hot transmission and evaporates before making it down, and usually leaks more while driving, so blows backwards

Customer:

i see ..

Customer:

i guess .. i will look for other mechanics..

AudiDoc :

wish I could offer a recommendation, but a google search as I mentioned, WITH reviews are key

AudiDoc :

also, one other site...

AudiDoc :

great place to check out Audi shops before booking an appointment

Customer:

i will check it out Doc..

Customer:

thanks alot ..

AudiDoc :

feel free to ask for me in the future if you need any other guidance

Customer:

ooh..

Customer:

can a 0411 cause the missfire too ?

AudiDoc :

nope, unless the vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the SAI solenoid valve is broken and causing an intake vacuum leak, leaning the air fuel mix out

AudiDoc :

But that usually affects all cylinders

Customer:

it's only on cylinder 2 ..

AudiDoc :

correct, so likely not a relationship there

Customer:

ok ..

Customer:

thanks again..

AudiDoc :

glad to help

Customer:

bye ..

AudiDoc :

ciao

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop