Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

Audi A6 2.7tdi Avant Quattro: I have a 2006 Audi A6 2.7tdi

I have a 2006 Audi A6 2.7tdi with 85000 miles on the clock. It is regularly serviced and has been running well. It suddenly developed a loud ticking sound from he engine compartment and this continued after the engine was switched off and the fan still running. The emission warning light has also appeared. My local Audi dealer says it is something to do with the throttle control valve and is planning to replace this tomorrow at a cost of nearly£600. Does this sound like the probable cause? My concern is that the sound continued with the engine off until the fan stopped, so is it likely to be a throttle problem?

if the ticking noise continues with the engine off and the ignition off then its almost certainly an electrical fault and yes a faulty throttle body is a possibility

you can confirm if the throttle body is making this noise by using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and placing the handle end into your ear and the other end onto the throttle

however double check what they're charging as a new throttle isn't £600 and its less than an hours work to fit