Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained

Audi TT Quattro: When starting my Audi TT Mk 1 from cold, all

When starting my Audi TT Mk 1 from cold, all the dashboard lights flash on and off constantly and the dials flick up and down like the power is switching on and off all the time. The clock, date and trip meter reset to zero. Through all this the car works fine.
After 2 or 3 mins it stabilises and everything is normal.
If you start the car from warm again it's fine, only seems to happen when cold.
Car starts fine, has a reasonably new battery and the alternator is fine too.

Any help would be appreciated.
Geoff Jamieson [email protected]

Thank you for choosing “Just Answer” for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Your symptoms are consistent with a failed instrument cluster. If it is a cluster problem (which it likely is) the complete unit must be replaced as components are NOT available separately. The rebuilt clusters from the dealer start at about $550 US. This also requires coding of the new cluster and adaptation of the immobilizer and ALL of the vehicles keys.

As an alternate to a dealer rebuilt unit I have used BBA - reman in the past with GREAT SUCCESS. They can repair the existing cluster at a fraction of the cost of a factory rebuilt unit. Also, if the cluster is Immobilizer equipped, they can make repairs to the cluster without disturbing the system adaptation so the Immobilizer will NOT have to be readapted by a dealer as would be the case with a factory remanufactured unit.

The best source of information and repair of your instrument cluster would be BBA - reman they provide a very reliable and economical service in both England and the US.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. Please rate my answer as OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT. With a lower rating I will not be compensated. Please contact me with your concerns if you cannot rate my answer OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT.

Thank You!
Jake “The Audi Doctor”