AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A6 Quattro: How do you adjust the Dynamic Headlight Range

How do you adjust the Dynamic Headlight Range Control on a 2000 A6?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Actually, these have level control, but not exactly dynamic range control as the later A6's have.

AudiDoc :

To do this properly, you need an Audi-specific scan tool to put the headlamp adjuster motors in their base position

AudiDoc :

do you have this available?

Customer:

No.

AudiDoc :

Then the only method you can use is the traditional Beamsetter, or point-on-a-wall method, using the 6mm allen adjusters through the top of the radiator support

AudiDoc :

Unfortunately on a lot of these older A6's, the side to side adjusters are broken

AudiDoc :

Is there further information I can help with?

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you please expand alittle more details on how to adjust on the manual method.

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Sure. I'm assuming that you don't have a Beamsetter either, so we'll go old fashioned.

Park a car with known well-adjusted headlamps, on a flat surface, lights on, towards a wall, garage door, or other surface where you can see the beam pattern.

Mark the upper edge of the beam pattern on the surface.

Park the A6 in the same spot, lights on.

Adjust the lights to match the marks using these adjusters

Here are the final details, and arrows pointing to the adjusters:

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will this get rid off the Headlight"Symbol" Fault on the Dash?

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
It will not, as the Audi scan tool, Vag-com/VCDS by Ross tech, or other Audi-specific tool is necessary in order to clear faults in the headlamp range computer. This is true even if everything is set perfectly.
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You Very Much!