Mike, Technician
Experience:  Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..

Audi A6: 51 reg..dashboard..today and as the car engine warms..clogged

I have an Audi A6 (51 reg) and the centre of the dashboard containing the led information screen dims after a while and becomes unreadable. When the car is cold I can see everything and all the pixels seem to work but on a warmer day like today and as the car engine warms up the led part fades and only bits can be seen. I have not noticed any pattern to which parts remain visible but currently it looks a bit like a cheap inkjet printer which has some of its print nozzles clogged with ink.

Can you help please?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi.

No response from anyone as yet... I did think that as I posted my question on a Sunday I might have to wait till today to hear anything though.

If you can help in any way then I would be grateful.

Thanks

Kevin

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome back to justanswer...

Im sorry to see you had a wait on this question -

This is Im afraid, a common fault on these models - yours is caused usually by , as it heats up, its losing electrical circuit / connection via the solder connections on the ribbon cable inside the cluster -

I dont know your level of expertise but to fix this, it has to have the cluster removed and fully stripped - so that the clocks / pcb - printed circuit board etc is fully stripped out to gain access to the cause of the fault and re soldering done to cure it... I can give you further info on that if you need it , if its a job you can do ..but when its fully stripped, you would actually see the problem, what needs re soldering etc. Or- there are companies that advertise on the net that carry out these repairs - obviously you would need to strip the dash cluster out -and then send the unit to them for the repairs.

So thats the problem you have with this one and the different ways to cure it...

I'm very pleased to have helped you- .. By all means let me know if I can help anymore...

Meantime >>> Please click the Accept smiley for me Now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept smiley button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you .

Kind Rgds - MIKE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info.

I install computers for a living so have the technical prowess to do the job... I wasn't sure if this was a known voltage regulator issue or something else...

What I don't have is the info to get said cluster out of the car and repaired. Can you help me with that?

Kevin

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, thank you for your reply -

Thats great -so I will give you the removal instructions - and then you obviously strip the cluster when its out - and repair as you find...

Here are teh instructions for you - note it shows a LHD model and the clocks might look slightly different - the instructs' are identical though ..

(Please ignore the first two "view image" links- they are blanks)

2001 Audi A6 tdi
icon_prd_right_blank.gif Instrument Cluster / Carrier
icon_prd_right_blank.gif Service and Repair, Procedures: Removal and Installation

Instrument Cluster, Removing and Installing

NOTE:
- Do not disassemble instrument cluster
- It is not necessary to remove the steering wheel to remove the instrument cluster.

Removing
- Determining input values for replacing the instrument cluster.
- Completely pull out steering wheel with the adjustment mechanism and move (adjust) downward.

31_ad98a6cd0105_eea90-003.png

- Press cover -1- upward at side and then remove cover from instrument panel.

32_ad98a6cd0105_eea90-004.png

- Remove Phillips head screws -1-.
- Pull out instrument cluster toward front.
- Cut cable ties at rear of instrument cluster.
- Unclip securing latches of connectors and disconnect connectors.

Installing
Installation is reverse of removal, noting the following:
- Connect electrical harness connectors and affix wiring harness to rear of instrument cluster with cable ties.
- After installation, perform a function test of the instrument cluster.

So I hope that all helps you with that - again let me know if you need anything more -

Please dont forget to click the Accept/ smiley for now as thats how Im credited for helping you - Thank you..

Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I haven't "accepted" the answer as yet as not had chance to have a look and take the dashboard apart. The two pictures you sent do not have full size photos (nothing comes up when I click the links) so I was going to take the dashboard apart and reply to you if I needed further help.

I will accept the answer once I have got my screwdrivers out saturday but if I have further questions I didn't want to have to start the process again once if I had accepted already.

Thanks

Kev

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Kev,

Thank you for your reply as above...

Thats all ok , thats fine... Sorry about that picture issue - I have corrected that for you - click on the pic below..

...Just a note on the Accept issue, you can click that anytime - clicking the accept now doesn't close you out - you can still get back to in the same way as you did above - just come back to this post and re use the reply - your reply then comes to my in box... but whichever is fine..

Here are the pics again..in a different format -

Click HERE - - and HERE.

(note, this shows a LHD image but the instructions are the same for the RHD vehicle)

Best Rgds- MIKE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hiya.

I have had the dashboard to pieces as you instructed but the back of the clock/binacle us in perfect condition; no corrosion or hint if a dry joint.

I was hoping there nay have been a voltage regukator that i could spot and replace but nothing was obvious.

Can you advise further action please.

Kevin
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Kevin..

In the case of no signs of any trouble with the circuitry then the fault will lie within the control chips- a fault that cannot be seen...

There are no voltage regulators on these - and even if there were, these were fitted to older models / designs to control the gauges not pixels etc -

So as mentioned before, in this case now its going to be a case of locating a company that has the equipment that plugs into the unit and tests it ands subsequently the repair the fault -

So as I mentioned at the outset , there are companies that specialise in these cluster unit repairs - if you do a search on google etc for Cluster Repairs - then you can choose one that suits you to send it to - that is the next step on this one now..

IM very pleased to have helped you further with this - Please do click the Ok Service or higher end smiley face for now so that I am credited for helping you - Thank you again ..and all the best with your car..

Very best rgds - MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..