GermanDreams
GermanDreams, SHOP OWNER
Experience:  German Auto shop owner mechanic and enthusiast.

audi a4: turbo car engine light comes..same problem..mechanical

Hi i have an audi a4 2.0t fsi 147kw quattro s line avant and it has an intemittent fault that the engine runs on 3 cylinders and loses power and also it seems pretty slow for a turbo car engine light comes on and after i back off throttle light goes out and then 5 mins later comes on again same problem also when it started from cold this morning it was running on 3 cylinders i had a turbo astra before it and it was a lot quicker, it was at an audi specialist and they said nothing wrong with it am i rite in assuming it could be the coil packs at fault and also it only started doing it after i filled the tank with super plus unleaded 98 ron, Also i read on a forum that the turbo flap is a problem on them how easy is it to fix (im a mechanical engineer 15 years experience) any help would be appreciated. Andy
Category: Audi
Expert:  GermanDreams replied 2 years ago.

GermanDreams :

Do you have a scanner to tell you what cylinder is missing??

Customer:

no i dont have one

Customer:

is there an easy way to tell ie remove a coil pack at a time its only started doing it since i filled tank with 89 ron fuel

GermanDreams :

yes you can. but if you have a scanner you can see what cylender is missing then switch two packs if it moves its the coil pack if not then its something else

GermanDreams :

the other thing to check is pull the hose from the intake manifold to the breather on the valve cover. It goes threw a valve on the front that is your PCV or crank case breather valve depending on what they want to call it. This is a known faulty part on these motors.

GermanDreams :

plug it on both sides and test drive. to see if it gets better.

GermanDreams :

if not replace said valve

Customer:

ok its doing my head in also i found out that audi did a recall on the coils that they were replaced foc is this true? how do i find out if mine were done

GermanDreams :

call the dealer with your vin number. if they have been done they should have record of it. Record should be stored w/ vw factory not the individual dealer so any dealer will work even if work was done else where.

Customer:

i will try that cause it just seems very underpowered for a turbo car

GermanDreams :

either fault will make it seam under powered.

Customer:

would the pcv problem make it loose power

GermanDreams :

once miss goes away if it still feels slow have someone log the boost numbers on the car with VAG-Com. and they can tell you quickly if there is a leak causing loss of boost

GermanDreams :

Absolutely it would bleed off almost all boost.

GermanDreams :

Another check of pcb

GermanDreams :

pcv

Customer:

whats a vag-com

GermanDreams :

if its missing at idle try and remove the oil cap. if its extremely hard to remove or wont come off at all guaranteed bad pcv

GermanDreams :

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

GermanDreams :

its a scan tool that will allow you to do everything the dealer can and it plugs into a laptop

GermanDreams :

most good German shops have a copy and use it for these kinds of problems. its what we use in my shop

Customer:

ok thanks will try all the solutions see what works its only got 52k on clock

GermanDreams :

i have seen those pcv's fail at under 10,000

GermanDreams :

good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

GermanDreams :

and please dont forget to accept the answer if this helps you solve your problem cause its the only way i get paid

Customer:

ok will do thanks again

GermanDreams, SHOP OWNER
Experience: German Auto shop owner mechanic and enthusiast.