Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair

1999 audi a4: trunk wont open..gas cap..remotes

1999 audi a4 2.8 quattro, trunk won't open, cannot open gas cap area and door will not lock/open with remotes. Are all these problems related?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Roman replied 2 years ago.

Roman :

Hello , Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product

Expert:  Roman replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Roman replied 2 years ago.
It could be possible that the batteries in the remotes are dead or the remotes are failed or there is a problem with the control module. Will need the faults that are logged.
I can recommend you to replace the remote batteries and try to reprogram the remotes I will give you the procedure how to do it, if that does not work then further diagnosis will be needed.
Expert:  Roman replied 2 years ago.
1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.

2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second
key.

3. Using the remote control press the Unlock button once, and the horn
will sound once.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate the coding
procedure. The remote control will now be programmed.

NOTE : When performing programming on additional remotes the procedure
is the same, except you press the unlock button 2, 3 or 4 times for the
different remote.

For example : If programming 2 remotes press the unlock button twice with
a 1 second interval between each press, repeat for 3 and 4 remotes.

5. Switch Ignition OFF.

6. Remove key from ignition and check for operation.

7. The coding procedure can be repeated up to 4 times for additional remotes.

8. The ignition must be switched OFF between programming each remote
control.

Remote Control Erasing (1997 ON)

Procedure

key.

3. Press the remote control unlock button 5 times in 1 second intervals.
A short horn will sound.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate memory
erase.

5. Switch ignition OFF, all remotes are now erased.
Expert:  Roman replied 2 years ago.
do the erase procedure first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not the remotes. Could it be the vacuum pump. Climbed thru the back seats and undid the trunk latch, removed liner and found a unit of some type that was hot to the touch. Not sure if this is the vacuum pump or not.
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
yes there is a vacuum pump in the trunk they fail often, if you press the remotes do you hear the pump turn on ? yes, there is a vacuum leak somewhere in the system.
no, the pump is failed, but check all of the fuses and see if there is power and ground to the connector fist.
Roman, Technician
Experience: over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair